norst 26/04/18
Last reply 2 months ago
Mum left work due to ms – need help?

Hello, hope you’re all doing well 🙂

My mum has been very slightly affected by ms for the last few years, but more recently it’s started to affect her much more. She’s had to leave her job as a carer because she can’t move as well as she used to be able to. I was wondering if there were any benefits she could claim to help her out after having to leave her job due to the illness? I’ve been looking at sites like this income calculator (https://www.income-tax.co.uk/) to see exactly what money she needs, and she’s short of a few hundred a month which I’m currently paying for. Any help would be greatly appreciated – thank you in advance!

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
2 months ago

Hi @norst and welcome.

It’s good of you join us on behalf of your Mum. She’s lucky to have you.

The best people to ask are your local Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB). But, my initial thoughts are that she should be claiming Employment Support Allowance (ESA). Although a lot of these benefits are means-tested. I think you are allowed to have £16,000 of savings. Above that you get zilch.

You could try claiming Personal Independence Payment (PIP). This is not means-tested, but the criteria are very hard, i.e. Whether you are unable to walk 20 meters!

Hope this helps.

grandma
2 months ago

She should get ESA ( employment and support allowance) she should be on the support bit because she has had to leave work due to illness. She needs to sign on and she will need a doctors letter that says she can’t work due to the ms. It’s a minefield but you should be ok (eventually) and she should get about £100 a week depending on whether she gets Income based or Contribution based ESA. 😍

jay64
2 months ago

i have slow progresive m/s and it affects my walking and mobility and i get esa, and what used to be disability allowence wich is now called pip. i dont live like a king but im coumfertable.

mmhhpp
2 months ago

J agree ESA and PIP .xx

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.