katjay 15/04/15
Last reply 3 years ago
Ms remission

Hi all
If you have Ms which progresses rapidly (lots of symptoms in a short period (, can you still have a lengthy remission .

I.e can some one go into Remission that has a lot of symptoms vs one or two ?
Kat x

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
3 years ago

@katjay , another difficult question.

Primarily, it depends on which variant of MS you have. It really is only the Relapsing/Remitting variant (RRMS), which provides for periods of remission.

So, if we are talking RRMS, then there is still not an easy answer.

MS is a degenerative condition, meaning it gets worse over time. So, what kind of remission can you expect? Well, no two people are the same, but dependant on the actual symptoms, a recovery of up to almost 100% could be possible.

It is suggested the periods of remission are used to get your body into good shape healthwise. This strategy would put you in the best shape, if you were to relapse. If your starting position is always at the optimum level, then hopefully you can slow down any overall degeneration.

cameron
3 years ago

Hi there, just to add to what @stumbler has said, trying to analyse what’s going on in one’s body -neurologically speaking – is not always straightforward. Obviously, a bad relapse is unmistakeable! But there are ‘come and go’ symptoms as well, which (so I’ve been told) can be the tail end of a relapse or a relic from past relapses. One thing you’ve probably been told already, though, is that a lot can depend on your general health. There are numerous reports out there of MSers whose symptoms appear, reappear or worsen through stress. That’s why the general advice on MS is to ‘live well’. Getting enough sleep, exercising, eating as healthily as you’re able and cutting the stress will give you the best chance of staying symptom-free.

I’m reminded of when I was teaching – my A level students used to fret endlessly about the coming exams, wanting to know the ins and outs of how examiners marked, best-guessing the questions and so on. When I eventually used to lose patience, I’d tell them: ‘Translate the worry into hard revision. If you spend this amount of time actually learning the stuff, the exam will be easy!’ After four years living with MS, I recognised I was just as bad as my students! Endlessly looking at the ‘what-ifs’, agonising, imagining all sorts of scenarios, blaming myself etc etc. Didn’t do me a speck of good. Instead, I now focus on ‘living well’ – and that’s a full-time occupation!! xx Big hugs

hollylb10
3 years ago

I have had 2 fairly big attacks and have recovered 100% from both. One being a completely paralysed muscle in my eye which always had a chance of not recovering completely, but it did to my amazement. I have then had other symptoms in between, like pins and needles, fatigue, aches and pains. I would over analyse everything, every twinge I would immediately think was MS. Now I just take the fatique, aches and other symptoms as just general symptoms of MS and not attacks. Good diet, supplements and exercise has helped fight the fatique and now I just get the normal working mum always on the go tiredness 🙂

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.