Last reply 1 month ago
MS and the teenage years

Hi there, so lots of recent reports around the EB virus and MS floating around. One of the doctors at the recent Berlin conference (Shift video clip) was specific about linking MS to contracting viruses in the teenage years. So, I had glandular fever really badly when I was fifteen, off school for a month. Anyone else had glandular fever or similar?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

chezy17
5 months ago

I had glandular fever also when I was 20, I’ve also had chicken pox 3 times. It took me a good 2 months to feel normal again after getting that.

vixen
5 months ago

Actually @chezy17, I forgot that my sister, who is PPMS, had glandular fever when she was 18 too. That’s three of us. Anyone else?

look
5 months ago

Hi, I had glandular fever too when I was 15/16 off school for two months in O level year. I’ve always wondered about a connection to MS, MS diagnosed age 27, (21 years ago).

nutshell88
5 months ago

Chickenpox with an extreme hugh fever was off school 2 weeks.

Another time I had lide death fever was off school 3 days.

As a young child 3 years maybe I passed out of fever but I didnt feel it they took me to emergdncy.
Same year passed out of fever drs took something from my spine I still cant get the reason why.

In 2015 passed out of fever in edinburgh summer i was ok that day suddenly my legs failed called emergency stated at hospital 3 days they couldnt find the reason why .

nutshell88
5 months ago

And I bet many otgsr viruses i cant recall.

nutshell88
5 months ago

Im not sure i understand glandular fever r

nutshell88
5 months ago

I had chrcken pots 3 times in different age

A mark of the first is in my tum second my forehead third nobe i was careful.

@chezy17

highlander
5 months ago

@vixen
Pull up a sandbag……
I’ve had measles, mumps and chicken pox before I was six, I was dragged round to other infected kids house’s to catch it! For my own good!
Joined the army at 16.5 have been given every vaccination known to man.
Caught glandular fever, that was fun!
Was given NAPS and various other things for GW1 and Malaria tablets.
I’ve had that many tetanus jabs I’m never required to have it again.
Oh and hepatitis jabs.
Flu and pneumonia jabs in the last 2wks.
I’m pretty miffed that I came up trumps with MS!
It’s gonna have a bit of a fight to get me….ahh wait a minute!
Keep smiling!

mamawals
5 months ago

I was fine in my teenage years but got mononucleosis (glandular fever) when I was 25. That’s what I get for playing beer pong – MS apparently! 😀

wjgregg
1 month ago

I had a stomach ulcer when I was 15. Does that Count? It struck me the other day, when I was reading about gut related issues. I now take pro biopics, in addition to my other supplements. I am beginning to rattle…

jane_watts
1 month ago

@vixen

No never had any fever.

I’m still on the fence about all these different analysis linking such fevers to MS, read it all before over the years.

Doesn’t convince me I’m afraid.

jane_watts
1 month ago

I do however wonder about these vaccines?

chezy17
1 month ago

Vaccines…I hate this debate cos if you don’t vaccinate ya children your wrong…

katrinaf93
1 month ago

@vixen very interesting. I had a bout of shingles when I was about 13 which, as far as I can remember is pretty uncommon at that age. I also suffered with my tonsils quite a bit until eventually getting them out but maybe so does every teenager? Not sure but I would say there is something in that.

cammo
1 month ago

Had glandular fever at 16, just a mild case. Chicken pox at a young age maybe 4…

potter
1 month ago

I had the standard chicken pox, measles and mumps when I was young, there was no vaccinations at that time. I haven’t had glandular fever but I did have Juvenile Arthritis and was in an out of hospitals for a year running 105 degree temperatures for a week at a time. The doctors had me take penicillin that entire year, they even did a brain wave test on me last time I was dismissed from the hospital. I can’t say that my MS comes from that experience. I had two aunts who had it and 10 close relatives that died from ALS including my mother and sister. I think my mothers side of the family is a genetic nightmare. Potter

sfrox
1 month ago

Going on record as another PWMS who had chicken pox, measles and mumps. I don’t think I ever had mono (that’s what yanks call glandular fever). Can you contract something without getting sick with it? I worked in a restaurant in my late 20s, and a guy there who I saw every day had a roomate who was suffering from debilitating EBV.

Many people have had these diseases and don’t come down with MS. But I’m glad we are looking at viruses. It makes sense that something like a virus could trigger the immune system to malfunction, as a start. Then on top of that, maybe the total shift to MS happens as a result of environmental elements (smoking, exposure to toxins, diet-related imbalances).

finchy
1 month ago

Yes. Glandular fever ruined my eighteenth year and my A Levels. Went undiagnosed for a long time and I feel it was linked to my Ms in early twenties.

vivien
1 month ago

@vixen

I’ve had chicken pox 4 times between 5 and 22 years old.

Had measles at 12.

Was in contact with someone with tb when I was 9, test reacted so had bcg vaccination immediately.

Glandular fever for 3 months at 19, further 4 months to recover as I lost 75% of my body weight. Resulted in allergic polyathralgia, even allergic to raised white blood cell levels!

Had tonsillitis almost constantly from 7 to 15 years, still have perforated tonsils.

Have acute allergic rhinitis (hay-fever on steroids!)

I think that’s it?

Vivien xxxx 🤔🤗🤣

grandma
1 month ago

As I keep saying, we’re born with ms, it takes a ‘major trauma ‘ to your body to ‘set it off’ hence the 60/40 split with women/ men, cos men don’t get pregnant, so any major infection can set it off into activity, so obviously the more major infections you have as a child/ teenager the more likely the ms is to rear its ugly head👹😜

jane_watts
1 month ago

@chezy17

I’m referring to my childhood there was no vaccines only one for hooping cough which my mother had me vaccinated.

However it is a personal decision whether to have ones children vaccinated by today’s standards.

I was very fortunate in knowing a friend personally who works in a vaccine lab who’s advice I sought before I had my son vaccinated.

Again it’s a personal choice.

jane_watts
1 month ago

@grandma

I totally agree with you, I’ve believed this for many years, & read this on occasion.

You’re the first I’ve ever heard believing as I myself do.

nutshell88
1 month ago

Fever and chickpots i hope i spelled it right
Another fever too was bad all around that age
Passed out as baby of fever and a child too was hospitilised

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.