Last reply 5 months ago
MS and the heat

The sun and therefore the heat is out here in the UK. I have never been able to stand the heat but since being diagnosed I’ve noticed that it makes my symptoms worse. This will be my first summer after diagnosis and I wondered if anyone could share some tips on how you manage MS and the heat?

Thanks everyone!

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

bullman
5 months ago

I have had 14 summers & struggle. Try to keep cool. I use sprays,fans & dehumidifier to keep as cool as possible. Other MSers love the heat. I find humidity is the worst bit.

clairg1
5 months ago

Hi, I was just going to post the exact post but then seen yours!

I too have recently been diagnosed, and my symptoms are worse when my body temperature is raised.

Though it’s lovely to finally see the big yellow thing in the sky, I have been dreading it & as expected I am shattered already & my leg is not working properly & it’s only 2.14pm!

I hope you aren’t suffering too much today.

adamski
5 months ago

Hi guys, just saw the topic and remembered a long time ago there were lots of posts on this…
In the search top of page type in ‘heat hacks’ and the threads will appear.
Lots of great tips there, have a great day Adam 😊

Anonymous
5 months ago

This is my first summer with ms too but I’ve always found the heat unbearable, not looking forward to it this year thats for sure

studentandms
5 months ago

Thanks for your comments. The heat hacks thread is really good 😊

peterfrancis
5 months ago

This will be my first summer after diagnosis, today has been very warm but bearable if the heat is going to stick around then I will do as normal and stick to shaded areas with plenty of water. Not a fan of warm weather, never have been.

potter
5 months ago

Take a small cooler where every you go with bottled water in it. I keep them cold with used bottles that I fill with water and freeze. If the heat get to be to much I will put the frozen water bottle on the back of my neck. This cools the blood going into your brain and you will feel better in 10 to 30 minutes. It is very hot in Kansas, 110 F is a very common temperature for July and August. It doesn’t start cooling down here until November. Potter

nutshell88
5 months ago

Im saudi
Lived the summer 13 times after daignosis in 2005
First you should have AC
in home and in the car too
Dont try to challange the heat by fully exposing yourself to the sun ex: beach, tan ect.
Avoid the sun best you can you better be indoors during summer actually as much as you could
Cold showers

x

bonang1975
5 months ago

Tell ya the summers are full on in oz. Ive gone threw both over there and here. One thing that i do is put on an ice vest it seems to really help mabey you may want to give it a go

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.