Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
3 years ago

@nemo , when you have MS, having flu is very unfortunate. Flu on it’s own is bad enough, but Flu and MS is best avoided, as you are finding out.

The only thing you can do is manage the flu, so bed rest and hydration are important.

In the UK, having MS places us in the “at risk” segment of the population, which allows us to receive the annual flu vaccination.

Is there any similar protection available to you in Norway, which may help you for the future?

angelbum
3 years ago

I really feel for you . My last relapse was triggered by the flu . By the 3rd week I was thinking this can’t be flu anymore and continued for many weeks .

Symptoms are always increased with any viruses or bugs . In an ideal world I would wear a mask everywhere as I pick everything up . Having a 2 year old daughter at home and a 16 year-old teenager can be a bugs paradise .

It’s so important to keep your temp down taking paracetamol and if you are allowed ibuprofen by alternating between the two

So paracetamol 4_6 hours and then ibro say a few hours later . I think they call it staggering the doses .

Up your daily in take of vit c and zinc plenty of fluids and rest .

I know you prob know all these things but there’s nothing much else you can do .

Hope you return to health soon or whatever your baseline health may be x take care x

simone2
3 years ago

To stop me getting any colds I take 3,000MG of vit c every day I have not had a cold for years.

nemo
3 years ago

Thanks! Just so good to hear that flu can lead to a relapse for others with MS. Yes, I can get flu shot, but they said it was best to wait since I have just started on Geilenya.

janep
3 years ago

Hi @nemo, hope you’re starting to feel a bit better. Hmm.. that’s interesting, I am on gilenya too and always get my annual flu shot- my neuro advised me to as the immunosuppressive effects of the gilenya make us at greater risk of getting bugs and not being able to fight them effectively- did they say why you needed to wait and how long for?

Anonymous
3 years ago

I had the flu-jab and got the flu about 2 months ago. It was similar to the Indian flu i had in 1993, so pretty harsh. Main thing it’s only a week thing, so you’ll feel boosted once your on the mend again

nemo
3 years ago

@janep
I think it was a “let’s see how this goes first” thing since Gilenya has only been on the market here in Norway about a year or maybe two and this is mt third med. in a short while. Nice to see som many people who cares! Thanks.

thecuriosity
3 years ago

Hope you’ve got plenty netflix movies (or equivalent) to watch and lots of OJ.

janep
3 years ago

Hi @Nemo- ah that makes sense! I started on Gilenya in February 2013 and ‘flu jab season’ doesn’t start here until the autumn so I had quite a while to let my system adjust before throwing anything else at it! I’d been on copaxone and avonex prior to this and have been really well on Gilenya so fingers crossed it agrees with you too! Hope you’re on the mend and not too bored! Jane xx

nemo
3 years ago

I started on Gileny on the 8th of January. The first week was good, then it has been a steady downhill spiral. The flu situation did not help!

anawith1n
3 years ago

Take magnesium !! At night

tabbycat
3 years ago

I have got a cold and a husband at home with man flu. For some reason it has caused huge spastic pains in my foot and the only way I could get down a very long corridor to the loo today, was in my bare feet. Try explaining you’re not pissed to a colleague as you zig zag by in your hobbit feet!!

janep
3 years ago

@tabbycat, that really made me giggle! My feet do something similar in that generally the first sign that I’m getting a cold or something is that my right foot gets really hot, numb and prickly. Gotta love a random early warning system! xx

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.