Last reply 6 years ago
MS and other diseases

i have Celiac and was diagnosed with MS in October. does anybody know if there is a link between MS and other diseases?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

cameron
6 years ago

I have read somewhere that coeliac disease is slightly more common in people with MS, but I don’t know why. It’s certainly true that MS doesn’t protect you from getting anything else nasty!

sheryl
6 years ago

I don’t think there is a link with other diseases – I do think that you need to be careful not to think everything is MS though.

reddivine
6 years ago

No connection. See the epilepsy and MS thread. Its just a bummer that you get hit with TWO conditions

lillylilly
6 years ago

Apparently if you have one autoimmune disease you are more susceptible to others.

min
6 years ago

I am feeling so guilty/terrified for my 14yr old son’s future as I have just realised that the reason he has had Alopecia and still has Vitiligo is because of autoimmunity. He developed both of them before I was diagnosed.Now I am worried about him developing MS. My other 2 children seem to be o.k.It’s too much of a coincidence for it not to have been passed on via me – isn’t it?

mhorn50
6 years ago

Hey Tracy, in response to your question—that is also my question.

15 years ago I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis and I worked for many years with it until my Dr. said that I must go on disability before i really do harm to myself. As I was waiting for disability for the RA to come through, I was diagnosed with MS how coincidental. Seems rather strange to me that I would also have 2 or possibly more autoimmune diseases.

cbeebies
6 years ago

I’ve also wondered about links to other autoimmune diseases. I was diagnosed with MS last year and my daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 8 years ago at the age of 5. There is no MS or diabetes of any kind in the family, in fact no other auto immune related diseases at all. It makes me wonder as diabetes is thought to have a viral trigger and my MS nurse said about links to a virus years back which lies dormant until triggering the MS later in life. My son is signed up to some diabetes DNA research looking for links to a viral trigger. Is there anything like this in progress for MS?

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.