Last reply 1 year ago
MS and Martial Arts – How to keep at it?

I was diagnosed with MS about four years ago. I immediately started implementing lifestyle intervention programs (diet, exercise, etc.). The form of exercise that I’ve found to be most helpful to me is martial arts. I’ve been studying a Korean martial art called Soo Bahk Do for a bit over a year. It’s been great for my flexibility, balance and strength. My body tolerates it much better than running and weight lifting. I also enjoy it more, which helps with the motivation. All that to say, I want to keep doing this as long as I can. Any advice out there from others who have been able to practice something like this over many years post diagnosis?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

cameron
1 year ago

That’s impressive! So good, too, that you enjoy it. I expect you are a load fitter than many of your non-MS friends. I try my best with swimming and have just started personal training. It’s a lifelong struggle to keep the weight off and maintain level of fitness, but as my physio loves to remind me: ‘You have no choice. You have to live a happy, healthy life’.

I’m happy to hear such a positive story
I’m Angie ms rr,
I use yoga & positive affermayions ,as well as meditation & art, research in feilds of neuro illness understanding & health benifits for life changes ! I have changed my diet which helps tremendously -healing the gut is the base line to ALL NEURO ILLNESSES. check out nutralising your diet… laura Wilson is a no-frills writer straight to the core of site issue .
Also dona Eden .Louise l hay . Barbera wren & OMS team are very cool!

thecuriosity
1 year ago

I was always keen on swimming and it’s now one of my most important coping mechanisms, things go a big mad if I don’t get to go swim sometimes, and it really helps.

I try to set myself little goals like trying to get a bit faster/swim a bit longer in a week, or at the moment working towards a swimathon to do something good with all that effort.

I think the fact that martial arts are also quite social should hopefully help you feel motivated to continue but I think you’ve also got to take it as it comes and remember it’s not the end of your world if you need to take a break and do something a bit less full on. 🙂 but
I reckon if you enjoy it and feel good doing it that’s a good place to start from

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.