Last reply 3 weeks ago
MS and IVF/Fertility

Hi everyone
My first post has come about because I have watched from afar for many months, gone through 2 cycles of Lemtrada (they went well/ok!) and now I’m in a situation I am just finding a bit heartbreaking.
My Mum had MS, I was her no.1 carer I suppose and had been since I was a child.
Before I was diagnosed it was my ultimate dread to get MS and sadly it came true.
My husband and I had unsuccessfully been trying for a baby for 2 years and then I got diagnosed. So then began the torment of waiting another 18 months to have cycle 1 & 2 of Lemtrada.
I have the funding for IVF and over the years of fertility tests know I have PCOS too which makes it is hard to conceive naturally. The more I read about MS and IVF the more I am put off about the higher rate of relapse. Desperate to speak with others who have had to go down the IVF route and find out whether people have any tips or pointers from their neuros about which fertility drugs are better than others. I don’t get much out of my neuros other than ‘hopefully Lemtrada will protect you’… I know the research is limited.
Thanks for reading and if anyone has been through IVF please do reply!
Louise x

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
3 weeks ago

Hi @louisestrong and welcome.

It is disconcerting when a parent suffers from MS, but their condition should not be compared with a diagnosis of MS now. The greater understanding and number of treatments makes our prognosis look much more optimistic.

Your treatment with Lemtrada has given you the opportunity to potentially eradicate your MS for a few years, if not longer.

You’re right, research may be limited. So, you may need to follow your heart and your aspirations. We’re a resourceful bunch, so we’ll find a way to manage no matter what.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.