gareth1987 16/03/15
Last reply 3 years ago
MS and Isolation

Hi there! I just wondered about peoples experiences with Isolation. I know its not particularly nice to talk about but I believe it’s good to get off your chests! (and your shoulders and heavy legs).

Cheers guys!

Gareth

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

There are no categories assigned yet.

stumbler
3 years ago

When our mobility and/or continence is affected by our MS, it is easy to avoid problems by staying indoors. This prevents us from having any embarrassing accidents or slip ups in public.

So, we can allow our MS to isolate ourselves. Or, we can make an effort to get out there and be part of life.

We all need the stimulation of social interaction.

I’m not the best one to talk as I don’t get out that much. But, I do get myself out swimming three times a week and also do a Yoga and a Pilates class. This allows me to keep my social skills working by participating in group activities.

But, ultimately, it’s down to us. We can cower and hide or we can be big and proud and get out there and be seen. 😉

angelbum
3 years ago

Yes it does isloated people . I find when I go through a relapse I can’t keep up with friends even lifting the telephone is difficult because nothing is functioning the way it should .

I also find because I get a relapse about once a year . I’m house bound for 6-8 weeks after this time frame I’m out the worst symptoms but yet still so weak left with symptoms that takes months to recover from . Fatigue and pain

By that time I have kinda list my confidence so I have to build it up gradually again .

So your out the loop for so long .I live seeing my friends but now I can only maybe go out once a week fir a max of few hours . It’s quite draining I’m not saying my friends are draining but the illness is .

I have to reserve energy for important things like seeing to my family first then making sure the house is in order and making sure I don’t burn myself out . You need to make sure your body is rested . Make time for everything in short bursts

I definitely have to make more effort . Another thing I find difficult is remembering things and sometimes this quite annoying for me . Friends will be talking about something did you see that show on tv … obviously I haven’t or f I did I forgot so find it hard to join in conversations

jennymyatt
3 years ago

I feel isolated too. My family understand, I think. Some I don’t see at all now. Can’t help but feeling sorry for myself. I also have epilepsy and haven’t got my driving licence back. Oh wo is me. This is my life.

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.