Last reply 5 months ago
MS and Babies?

Hi all,
Im a full time lurker and a one time poster and really love the support and information you kindly trade. Its made life a lot easier!

I got my DX in February 2016 when my first relapse left my whole left side wonky, and a lot of nerve pain. This was only 3 months after optic neuritis in December 2015. Things were fantastic until I got smacked down with fatigue and pain, pills, drs, mris, spinal taps (you kow the drill)
I was taking Gilenya for a year, and while my ms is stable, I’m still waiting for the remission bit to happen. Then I moved onto Lemtrada. I have just finished the 2nd round of treatment and am slowly recovering. I had the treatment in Australia and then flew back to Austria a few days after, which I think makes my recovery a bit longer
Anyway, good news is, I married my man last year and now comes the discussion about having children.
We are allowed to start trying 4 months after my treatment. But I am concerned maybe that’s a little soon. But I cant help feeling somewhat of a foreboding presence that is MS saying “have children while you have the energy, while you can run after them, while your body can handle it ooooooooooh *ghostly*”

I also have heard that pregnancy is great and (theoretically) symptom free which would be some kind of sweet relief. But of course not the only reason to have children.

I think the question is: Is there a right time to have children? Or is there never a right time, which makes all the time the right time?

I am turning 28 this year, and feel like with the MS diagnosis the fun youthful years are over anyway. My studies are finished. Work is a bit of a nonsense at the moment (I run concerts for singers) and my husband and I have a pretty good schedule and living circumstance also. So this would be from a MS/health standpoint to begin with.

Thank you hivemind! Stay fantastic!

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
5 months ago

@befuddled , sounds like you have got your life together now.

Lemtrada, as a drug, only stays in your body for a matter of weeks. It’s removed via your urine, hence the recommended water intake. Hopefully, the Lemtrada will have stopped the MS in its tracks and you are now recovering and lost function.

At its outset, Lemtrada was seen as “the closest thing to a cure, without calling it a cure”, so I would hope that your short term and medium term will hopefully be incident-free.

On that basis, you should be well-placed to start a family soon. It’s your natural tendency, so why not?

If you think your fun, youthful days are over, you do need to chat to some young Mums. Ha Ha!

I wish you good luck going forwards.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.