Last reply 3 months ago
MRI – with a cold

I’ve got my MRI in about 3 hours and I’ve been trying everything I can think of over the last week to get rid of the cold I managed to catch. It’s not a bad cold, and all that’s really left is some minor congestion and the nasal drip. But it’s the drip that has me freaking out about the MRI. What if I cough uncontrollably? I am hydrated (but not too hydrated, don’t want to have to pee while I’m in there), I’ve been doing the neti pot religiously twice a day for a week and using a steroid nasal spray (at the advice of my doctor) – 2 squirts, 2x/day. Last thing I’ll try is a shot of delsym cough suppressant – I’ve heard it’s good stuff.

My neurology appt to go over results is 2 hours after the MRI appt so I don’t have time for them to start over, should I succumb to a cough. I’ve been trying all day when I feel the nasal drop to just do a slight throat clearing cough without moving – I think I’ve got that down!

Any other hints/tips/tricks?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
9 months ago

@isaacson72 , won’t you be OK when you’re lying down? Gravity won’t be working against you so much…………………… 😉

isaacson72
9 months ago

Good point – I hadn’t considered that. I’ve been practicing clearing my throat and swallowing without moving my spine for 2 days – but all while standing or sitting! Lying down might be better, I hope! I am not canceling – I have suspicions of things going on with all that finger twitching and don’t want to wait for my neuro’s next available appointment which is months away.

grandma
9 months ago

Stumbler is right, you can’t wipe anything away with a tissue cos you can’t move, I know it goes against everything we learn’t as children but let your nose run,we know what it’s like to wait months for a MRI, a day with a runny nose is a small price to pay, and go for the strongest cough medicine you can find and good luck😍

isaacson72
9 months ago

I made it through just fine — took a double dose of delsym cough suppressant and some afrin. Had some nasal drip but I swallowed. Once or twice he told me I could clear my throat but he gave me all of about 1.5 seconds so I never had enough time. Turns out all I had done was the brain MRI this time, I was told it would be the whole shebang but I guess not. That’s next year.
All is well. My reflexes have apparently become ms-y, but I don’t notice that very much. He raised my disability index to a 2 (out of 10, not sure if the UK has the same system) because of my bladder & reflexes. But no new brain lesions. I do have my doubts about what my hands are doing — had those weird tremors in both hands and have some trouble with grip & dexterity but he didn’t think it was worth another MRI at this point (??). It’s not a disabling problem, and I’m not a fan of the tube, so I’m ok to wait for a year. Unless something happens between now & then, of course, but let’s hope it doesn’t!

Anyway 40 minutes in there was better than 2 hours and I made it through for another year.

stumbler
9 months ago

@isaacson72 , glad it went OK for you. Something not to be sniffed at……… 😉

leighlincoln
8 months ago

Hi MIchelle, noticed that you are having Botox treatment. How is it going for you. I’m having mine in a couple of months depending on the hospital waiting lists here in Australia.

isaacson72
3 months ago

@leighlincoln — sorry for the lengthy delay in response, I haven’t been on the site for apparently a very long time! Did you have the botox yet? How did it go? How are your symptoms now?

I’ve had the botox done twice. The 1st time it worked like a dream. The 2nd time, I’d say it improved my symptoms about 25%, maybe 30%. I asked the urologist about it, he said sometimes that happens, it just depends where all the shots go. He encouraged me to try a 3rd time. I declined, because my neuro put me on a new med that has given me some bladder problems and I didn’t want to add botox onto that, but now that the med is settling into my system ok, I think I’m ready to try it again.

I hope your botox appt went ok, and it’s helpful for you!

leighlincoln
3 months ago

Hi thanks for your message. Yes I had Botox and no it didn’t work for me. Disappointed but that’s the way the cookie crumbled.

I now need another flexi cystoscopy then see Gynie then possibly a pacemaker to the bladder.

Apart from that not too bad. Saw a Neurophysio today and h was very informative and I shall be seeing him again.

Sorry your not been so good.

Pat

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.