rachaellouise 01/03/18
Last reply 1 month ago
Mri scans

Anyone taken anything to calm them down ? I have claustrophobia . I don’t want to be zonked but just something to take the edge off ? Anyone prescribed anything .

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

dekkor
1 month ago

You may be able to request a sedative from the radiologist or referring neurologist. I took a very small dose of Alprazolam when I I had my first MRI and it helped. Be aware however that you will not be able to drive afterwards and should plan accordingly

stumbler
1 month ago

@rachaellouise , this is something that you need to have an open and frank discussion with your GP about………..

rachaellouise
1 month ago

@dekkor – how did it make you feel?

dekkor
1 month ago

@rachaellouise, it helped me feel more relaxed and at ease. I did not have any other side effects. I’m quite wary of these types of medications so I took a lower dose that what was prescribed to me. Your referring neurologist or primary care provider should be able to guide you with this.

rachaellouise
1 month ago

@dekkor – thank you
Good to know I will get something .

I have had two mri without anything . First was 30 mins and second was 1hr . Due to my claustrophobia I really suffered

This time I’m thinking why suffer ? Needlessly . It’s only one day so I’m exploring these options .
I don’t like meds either so glad to know helped you.
What was your dose?

Rachael

dekkor
1 month ago

My first MRI was so long! Almost 3 hours. I took 0.5mg (half of my prescribed dose) and found that it was sufficient.

Not all MRI centers provide ear plugs so be sure to bring some of your own. I found this really helps.

edmontonalberta
1 month ago

@rachaellouise

Maybe I am missing something since I have never experienced claustrophobia. Whenever I want to blank something out I just close my eyes & ignore the world.

I have fallen asleep in the dentists chair. I fight to stay awake during MRI’s because I know I need to stay perfectly still – snoring would probably be a bad thing…

Good luck.

silvergyrl
1 month ago

I had mine last week. Although I don’t have claustrophobia, it was quite scary. They put a cloth over my eyes and it made it so much better! Good luck

rachaellouise
1 month ago

@silvergyrl – thanks . Yeah it is but not really is it don’t know why I get shakeu, nothings going to happen

spunky
1 month ago

The only person who will likely prescribe you something is your GP. On our MRI requisitions it says if you need to take something be sure to get it from your doctor. I was prescribed Ativan but only took it for my 1st MRI.

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.