Last reply 5 months ago
MRI on Monday

On Monday I have to go to the hospital for an MRI of the brain. It’s just a yearly check up, I haven’t had any new symptoms but my neuro just wants to be sure my MS is stable. I know, nothing to worry about but I’m already a bit stressed, bit afraid there are new lesions, and claustrophobic so an MRI is really horrible for me. I thought I would get used to it (I guess I already had 12 in 3 years) but seems like that’s not happening. I’m already thinking of great thing to think about during the MRI 😉 Maybe I should advice them to install a mindfulness session during the scan 😉

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
5 months ago

@buitenmus , whatever the MRI shows isn’t going to change, no matter how much you stress about it. So why bother? You really don’t want to provoke a self-fulfilling prophecy………..

If you are concerned about the claustrophobic nature of the MRI scanner,then have a word with your GP, to prescribe a mild sedative to help.

And, do let the scanner staff know how you’re feeling. They’re used to patients feeling like that.

hmcampos
5 months ago

Like @stumbler says, talk to the staff.

I am (VERY!!!) claustrophobic and after talking to the MRI staff they found a solution, my wife is next to me holding my hand during the exam. Guess what? Even though I look like a gigant baby going to the tube and having mom holding his hand, the MRI fears go away and the exam feels like a walk in the park (maybe not that much, no… 🙂 ).

Talk to them, they will help you for sure.
H

jamesmabrown
5 months ago

Hi all, first time user on here, so hello. Like @buitenmus and @hmcampos I am terribly claustrophobic, and I found taking a valium before an MRI (usually half an hour before) really helps – my consultant even recommended I do it.

Another thing that a friend who studied Neuroscience, and now works with MS, taught me: when you’re in the MRI, embrace where you are, and what is going on. You’re inside a machine that is so technologically advanced that it can see inside you. it’s quite remarkable.

Not sure if either of these points help, but good luck @buitenmus

buitenmus
5 months ago

Thanks! I’ll manage without sedative, I’ll just be brave 😊 And indeed, we should be happy MRI exists, saves us a lot of uncertainties. And I’m counting on a stable MRI, of course! And it will be a great summery day so I can dream of spending the afternoon in the sun, with good food and in great company. So my day won’t be that bad ☺

staying-connected
5 months ago

I love the idea of a mindfulness recording playing!!!

staying-connected
5 months ago

@hmcampos that is just too beautiful – the relationship with your wife and the closeness that she holds your hand 💗

buitenmus
5 months ago

I used My meditation lessons from yoga, It really helped a lot! I wasn’t scared At All (silly Phone keeps Using capitals). MRI shows New inactive lessions and the cold feeling in My right upperleg that’s bothering for a week now is probably MS. If It gets worse My spine Will have An MRI date and steroids. I hope It won’t Be necessary.

bernadette
5 months ago

12 MRIs in 3 years, WOW! that seems like a lot to me!
i’m no expert but is your neurologist a little scan-happy?
if you have no new symptoms and you are claustrophobic you can always say no thanks for now Doc,
is it going to change your management? … probably not
as for relaxing in the scanner, I try visualisation, I imagine myself on a golden sandy beach under a clear blue sky, and follow my breath as per yoga and meditation.
good luck

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.