sarahm 01/06/15
Last reply 3 years ago
MRI

Hi everyone, how often are we entitled to an MRI scan? I’ve only had the results from one before my diagnosis about 18 months ago. I’ve had 3 relapses since so I’m intrigued to know what’s changed. Xx

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

krisp
3 years ago

Hi Sarah
From what I’ve read it varies
Some neuros want every 3 months some 6 some 12!
I’ve had 3 in four months so far but had to pay private, the waiting list on the nhs in the UK isn’t great, speak to your gp or neuro and tell them you want them every 3-6 months and get them pre scheduled if your in the UK to avoid the waiting list.
Personally every 3 months would be long enough I would think!

krisp
3 years ago

Sorry especially if your rrms and on treatment, it helps to assess whether the treatment is actually working

sarahm
3 years ago

On the trial I’m on they give me an MRI (I’ve had one) but they don’t give me the results!! Its a US company, everything is top secret and gets sent straight to them! Thanks for the advice @krisp

krisp
3 years ago

Hi Sarah
No problems, what trial are you on by the way? I’m pretty sure if you have a decent gp or neuro they can tell you the results as anything you have done private or otherwise goes on your medical report
I would assume it’s the same with trials?

bowlocks
3 years ago

We get an MRI scan to help with diagnosis (in my case 1998) and that tends to be it, unless there is a good reason, like monitoring during a trial. The amount of lesions you have don’t necessarily matter and it’s where they are located that’s important. Personally, I think lesions are a bit overrated and it’s what you can, and can’t do, that really counts.
I hope you get some decent feedback from the trial scans.

sarahm
3 years ago

Hi @krisp I’m on a trail called RADIANCE (RPC01-201) – cheers for the advice.

Thanks for your advice @bowlocks

uka17
3 years ago

Last time I did my MRI research 6 month ago. And the previous one was 3 years ago. Basically, I don’t see any need to do it – you can do nothing with this research results, but you will proof once again that you have MS. So, it’s up to you how often to do it.

makkymee
3 years ago

Hi @sarahm

I’ve had 4 over the past 5 years. I had to ask for the last MRI as although I’ve not had any relapses I wanted to know if there was non-clinical activity. When I compared the scan with a previous there were new leisions. Since then I’ve made changes to my lifestyle. I just want to be aware of activity so I can monitor it for my own personal use.

All the best with the trial, I really hope it helps

Makky
X

northernlass
3 years ago

I’m going to see my Neuro tomorrow as it’s been a year since I saw her last and will be asking for another MRI as my last one was April 2014. I am curious as to what is happening in my Brain and on my spine and if there is any connection with me having a problem with my right leg several weeks ago… I will be making a list of all the things that have been happening to me over this last year that I need to discuss with her.. I just hope she has some answers for me and maybe even some medication that might help me at long last…. :-/

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.