Last reply 3 months ago
Medical hypnosis

I am an evidence based, science oriented gal, but my pain was getting unbearable and I don’t like how all the pain meds made me feel. Ok, I’m also not a big pill popper. So I finally gave medical hypnosis a try. After several weeks, I’m a believer. It’s helping a lot. Yes, I still have pain, plenty of it. But I feel that I’m coping so much better with it. I can see it for what it is, and not get wrapped up in worrying about how much worse it’s going to get. I flunked out with brief trials of gabapentin, celexa, and sativex. I hated how they made me feel. I should add I also utilize massage and acupuncture somewhat successfully. So, a vote for trying new things like medical hypnosis here!

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

edmontonalberta
3 months ago

@rivka

Hypnosis does not work for everyone; some such as myself are unable to relax enough. Although I suspect it works!

However I totally agree with massage. My 1st wife (may she rest in peace) could put me into a relaxing sleep in minutes. My present wife can tear my muscles apart without even trying; I give her heck for enjoying my pain so much. LOL

Not sure if it the physical touch that is important; or the crushing of the muscle cramps… But if hypnosis works for you – definitely follow that up…

stumbler
3 months ago

@rivka, thanks for sharing your experience with this therapy.

vixen
3 months ago

@rivka thanks, I’ve been thinking about hypnotherapy quite a bit, to help divert my thoughts away from thinking about MS all the time. Glad it works for you

rivka
3 months ago

@vixen, do give it a try, if you have access to it. It does take effort, both to practice daily, and to find someone good. I am working with an MD, who is a member of my community, so we share a similar religious mindset, which helps too. The visual suggestions and verbal prompts need to work for you emotionally, if that makes sense. And yes, @edmontonalberta, you do have to allow yourself to relax, not easy to do!

nutshell88
3 months ago

Im not a big fan of meds
I even stopped ms treatments for 9 years
And theres no chance i accept to take pain killers apart from panadl with extreme headaches

I accepted the pain i simply rest and wait for it to get a bit better
Now i accepted ms treatments too but my heart is still not so happy about the idea

rivka
3 months ago

I agree with you, @nutshell88, I take my MS med and vitamin D, but nothing else. Exercise, eat well. But I find the hypnosis helps me be more positive about it all. A good attitude without getting caught up in the pain cycle helps, sounds like you are there, I’m working on it.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.