krisp 06/05/15
Last reply 3 years ago
LP sat up?

Hi
Got home from my lumbar puncture now
He had me sat up on the bed leaning over a table, did the LP which took about 5 minutes from start to finish and once the fluid had drained he had me sit straight up and walk to another chair have my blood taken and sent home.

Is this notmal? He’s saying lying down thing has been disproved?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
3 years ago

Time will tell, @krisp.

I hope you don’t get the post-LP headache. 😉

Anonymous
3 years ago

Had mine done sat up, no probs post LP

brokendancer
3 years ago

Yes try to stay laying down to dodge the headache 😉
Sonia x

krisp
3 years ago

In honesty the thing itself was completely painless
It hurts a bit now but nothing major so I’m relaxing with some cola

xander
3 years ago

i was told to drink regular coke after to help avoid the headaches

melaniemann
3 years ago

I had mine laying on my side, took 55 mins and two different doctors, unbelievably painful even for me who has a high pain threshold. Had to lay face down across the back seat of the car home. Just unlucky I guess!

hockeyrat
3 years ago

Wow, you just scared me. My doctor mentioned that a couple of years ago , but I haven’t done it because of the horror stories I hear. I have enough MRIs and cat scans for them
Don’t they use pain medicine ?is that the same thing as a spinal tap ?
I feel for you, 55 minutes?

melaniemann
3 years ago

Spinal tap is the old name for it. I had a 2nd yr doctor to start with and I don’t think she had too many under her belt, whereas the doctor who took over was a third year. You can have it under a general I believe?

hockeyrat
3 years ago

What part of the spine do the really use?
I have ” diffused” tumour ( benign )over my sciatic nerve area. It’s not real tissue anymore . It’s all over the lower back. I don’t want to ask my doctor and give him high hopes that I’m finally ready for the poke.
I I even brush up that area against something; I’m in pain the whole week .
I had a hernia surgery , where the doctors accidently hit the area, I was in pain for another month , couldn’t even stand up.
Had to use a wheelchair, then walker
Learned how to walk all over again

melaniemann
3 years ago

If your MS has already been diagnosed by MRI and CAT scans then you may not need one anyway. Not everyone does I believe.
I had one because I had TM which moved to MS, confirmed by the lumbar puncture.

tracyd
3 years ago

Both my successful ones have been sitting up leaning forward …. they hurt like an absolute bastard and I have an incredibly high pain tolerance (I’ve broken bones and not gone for treatment for 2-3 days in the past) the 9 unsuccessful attempts were equally painful some lying down and some sitting up, but they did catch the nerve for my right leg at one point and I nearly Eric Cantona’d a doctors head off for some comedy value 🙂 xx

Anonymous
3 years ago

thanks tracyd uv put me right off getting mine done!!!! lol

krisp
3 years ago

Mine didn’t hurt at all not at the time and I had no headache after so maybe he was on to something with sitting up!
He said the thinner you are the easier usually but not always and that he uses a Whitaker needle whatever thatis
I did drink coke after too and I never drink coke

tracyd
3 years ago

@ironribs

It needed to be done, perhaps @krisp‘s chap was onto something I’m carrying a few extra pounds these days and being a bit porky made it worse 🙂 xx

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.