Last reply 1 week ago
Lost motivation.

I am finding it hard pulling myself out of bed early in the morning these days, encouragement and positivity seems to be have drained out of my body and I am finding it hard in figuring out how to get it back.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

There are no categories assigned yet.

stumbler
3 weeks ago

@jayjay10 , only you can resolve this problem. I’d love to provide you with an easy answer, but life just isn’t like that.

Believe me, we can all feel like that. MS is a huge burden, so you should never apologise for feeling sorry for yourself. Just allocate some time to do this, when you’re alone. Then pick yourself up, dust yourself down and start all over again……………

You haven’t lost your mojo, it’s just hiding………

sherryak
3 weeks ago

I hope you feel more energized soon. Luckily, I have a sister that is 11 months older than me. She is harder on me than my mother would ever dream of being. But when I survived a recent car wreck, she was an incredible advocate for me while I was unconscious. Whenever I want to give up, she’ll ask me to do something & I’ll go just to make her feel better. If you do stuff to make someone feel better enough times, you will eventually start to feel better. You may still feel the weight of the world on your shoulders, but it can still feel a little better. But everyone’s motivation to pick up your own spirits is completely up to the person. I hope you figure out your motivation sooner rather than later.

vixen
3 weeks ago

Hello @jayjay10, sorry you’re in a dip. Whether you believe it or not, it’s easy to feel this when the season is about to change; you know, summer is mainly behind us and we will start entering a cold season soon. Could it be you are on the edge of something deeper, like a change of direction. Oh dear, this is sounding a bit heavy! Maybe you’re just in one of life’s blips.hope you get your mojo back soon! 🙂

bonang1975
3 weeks ago

I know exactly how you feel mate it can be so frustrating just remembering how much energy you used to have but now it’s hard to find energy to get up off the couch

stephz
3 weeks ago

Hi @jayjay10 One thing that has helped is a light alarm clock – there’s evidence that light therapy works for people with MS – the alarm gets brighter about 30min & also has a tone in case the light doesn’t wake you. I wake up naturally and most of the time before the alarm. I still have days where I need more sleep but it’s made a difference- especially in the winter months

londonlad
3 weeks ago

hi @jayjay10

I recommend a book called the “power of now”. The book dates back to the 1990s, and you will have heard of Mindfulness, which has become popularised in recent years. Well what the book promotes is the same thing. Learning to focus on living in the present. trying to not dwell on the past, or worry about the future. I was quite sceptical about these types of things, but I’ve found having an open mind, has really paid dividends.

I think by not being caught up in the past, or worrying about the future, its much easier to take control over the current moment.
What’s also powerful, is learning to realise that its ok to go through times when we don’t want to get up or we feel a bit down… and not to beat yourself up about it.. as doing so, just makes it worse … you get unmotivated by thinking of being unmotivated.

You could also use lists for things you want to achieve each day/morning. From my personal experience, breaking down the day into things you need to do, or want to do, can help it seem more achievable if part of the problem is having lots of stuff to do.. and it feels good to tick things off as you do them.

You could also create some goals if you have some, or want to make some.
They should be achievable and realistic. Its important not to go from 0 to 100, as it often ends up backfiring.

I will be completely honest – August has been the laziest month I’ve had since my diagnosis last year.. i have struggled myself getting up some days… and ive been feeling a bit shit about it

But, having spent time to write this reply to you, and I hope it can help you a little, has actually helped me too. So i thank you 🙂
I reminded myself that its ok to have taken a lazy month (it is August after all ) and I should focus on what I want to do now.

So I think I also need to make some goals and plans myself…

Here’s to a productive September!

mamawals
3 weeks ago

You make your own happiness. What motivates me right now is honestly fear. Fear that the time I have to do some of the things I want is slipping away and much shorter than I realized. We’re all on a downward slide so we might as well make the most of every second we have while we have it. You only get one shot at this life (unless you believe in reincarnation) so you might as well make the most of it. I hope you find a way to get motivated again!

keepupthefight
3 weeks ago

@jayjay10

If you need to get out of bed to do things and you are struggling, then I recommend making lists for your day, and breaking down what needs to be done etc. It makes things managable and less daunting. Plus it’s rewarding as you tick things off.

If you’re working then it might be time to assess your job? If that’s the cause of demotivation.

It might also help to create some short term goals you want to achieve. Any goal you make should be realistic and obtainable. It’s important not to set ourselves up to fail. Which we tend to do, with things such as crash diets or by trying to achieve goals in unrealistic time frames.

I would also recommend looking into mindfulness. I was always relunctant with that type of thing. Yet I feel I’ve benifited. immensely.
Living in the moment, not dwelling on the past, or overly worrying about the future too much. As the future we have in our heads is actually not real, anyway!
Instead it’s what’s we do now! Plus what happens around us, that creates the future.

Also, It might be worth accepting that you have needed a rest physically and mentally up to this point, and that you now have now decided you don’t want to continue that pattern. you have the ability to change it, right now.

Good luck, sir.

brando
3 weeks ago

when I used to focus more on my personal training I would always ask clients what they wanted to get out of exercising.

I did this because having goals and wanting to look good in the mirror are two very different things. if you want the body you have to make sacrifices. I always found the people who had goals or reasons to be in the gym always yielded better results and longer lasting motivation. where the people that were looking for the looking good in the mirror would disappear within 1 week – 2 months.

establish your own purpose I exercise not to look good i do it because i want to stay fit and practice martial arts and apply myself to the police force where I live I struggle to exercise and have motivation without reason.

hope that helps

Brando

chezy17
3 weeks ago

I’m not going to tell you how to find your way, it’s something you need to find yourself and your best way of doing it. Everyone will give you their ideas, at one time, me included but in the end you will come through it!
They say don’t worry about the past or what was, it’s gone. Don’t worry about the future as it’s not happened yet, so live for now!
I don’t plan, but no point worrying about what might happen as you’re not there yet!
Like stumbler said, your mojo is still there it’s just hiding so tell it to get it’s arse back!

gijs
3 weeks ago

@jayjay10 I’ve read you profile, fuck me, you’ve been through a lot. I don’t have the fraction of your experience with this disease and I still have problems getting out of bed in the mornings. My point being – what’s stopping you now? I mean, you’ve went through a lot and it hasn’t stopped you. What was motivating you before? Why isn’t it working now?

mermaidia11
3 weeks ago

Excellent, thank you v much! Sometimes we need reminding to look after ourselves physically too, even though I reckon our minds and emotions suffer just as much!
I shall be doing them, whilst visualising nice strong muscles.

Specific exercises targeted to address MS are better than pounding the gym and elevating your heart rate for ½ hour a day gets that immune system working better!
Easier said than done I know, but one day on, one day off can work
I’m still weaker than a kitten, but every now and again a good day surprises me
Use it or lose it people!

And love n light to all

It’s always darkest before dawn 🧜‍♀️

I am finding it hard pulling myself out of bed early in the morning these days, encouragement and positivity seems to be have drained out of my body and I am finding it hard in figuring out how to get it back.

Mate, my heart goes out to you. And I’m 44 and got my mileage out of life, although cut short now.
Can’t even imagine the strength you have had to get this far. You might beat yourself up for a duvet day but fcuk me, you must be strong to have made it this far.
Respect to you bro.
This M(agic) and S(parkle) can be more crafty and insidious than a scorned woman on crack lad
As everyone says, we all suffer from it in varying degrees, so we feel your pain.

Regular targeted exercise, mindfulness, and a mission helps a lot

My tuppence to you handsome brave man, is to have a look at LDN

I’ll post a link

Also my fave strategy- Action or Distraction- take an action – make that plan or tidy that draw out….or distract yourself completely – So a good film, good music..(Alexa and her quiz questions keep me amused and distracted for ages)

Hmm Formby eh?

I’m like a hop, skip n a jump away from you!

I’ll come and visit y’all. Have car + scooter = can travel

Anyone else up north who
fancies a trip to Formby?

@grandma been meaning to message u cos u sound ace and would love to meet u, and u said u lived nearby – we’d have a laugh, an’ sure isn’t that what it’s all about

The ✨Magic and Sparkle magic moment club ✨?

I think we should all try and get one going in our areas – and for those who don’t want to leave the house, well they could skype/Facetime

Cheers @jayjay – final thought – out of the greatest shite comes the very best roses 🌹 x

mermaidia11
3 weeks ago

Fcuk posted a bit off another message – apols double vision as v tired!

This should have started…

Mate, my heart goes out to you. And I’m 44 and got my mileage out of life, although cut short now.
Can’t even imagine the strength you have had to get this far. You might beat yourself up for a duvet day but fcuk me, you must be strong to have made it this far.
Respect to you bro.
This M(agic) and S(parkle) can be more crafty and insidious than a scorned woman on crack lad
As everyone says, we all suffer from it in varying degrees, so we feel your pain.

Regular targeted exercise, mindfulness, and a mission helps a lot

My tuppence to you handsome brave man, is to have a look at LDN

I’ll post a link

Also my fave strategy- Action or Distraction- take an action – make that plan or tidy that draw out….or distract yourself completely – So a good film, good music..(Alexa and her quiz questions keep me amused and distracted for ages)

Hmm Formby eh?

I’m like a hop, skip n a jump away from you!

I’ll come and visit y’all. Have car + scooter = can travel

Anyone else up north who
fancies a trip to Formby?

@grandma been meaning to message u cos u sound ace and would love to meet u, and u said u lived nearby – we’d have a laugh, an’ sure isn’t that what it’s all about

The ✨Magic and Sparkle magic moment club ✨?

I think we should all try and get one going in our areas – and for those who don’t want to leave the house, well they could skype/Facetime

Cheers @jayjay – final thought – out of the greatest shite comes the best roses 🌹 x

cameron
3 weeks ago

This was said to me the other day. Corny but I like it.

Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift.
That’s why it’s called the present.

jayjay10
2 weeks ago

Hey guys,

Thank you for all the encouragement and positivity you have all given me. It is of very great appreciation of the inspiration that has been provided by fellow sufferers of the condition. Those words from each and every comment has coursed through my body with the feeling of friendship and family. I can’t express enough of how grateful I am of this. I am quite simply lost for words and I hope that all are coping well and fighting off this battling condition.

Thank you for all the support guys. X

rachaellouise
2 weeks ago

@jayjay10

– it is hard to cope with ms and the symptoms , do not give up ! You can do this ! We all have our moments just don’t give up !

Wishing you well and sending healing your way

Xxx Rachael. X

cakeangie
2 weeks ago

Have you thought about counselling? Staying positive is so dam hard but also such a helpful tool to support this condition. I’m of the opinion that I will take all the help I can get, even if I’m not sure of it’s value, because you might actually hit on something good. It’s also an opportunity to talk about yourself and not feel guilty you are boring people! I also find cake helps!
Good luck

beefree
2 weeks ago

Dear @jayjay10, how incredible you are to have coped with everything that has already come your way.

It’s a hard time right now, but reading your bio I can’t help but think that you’ve already been through the worst of it: to cope with so much at such a young age.

You have demonstrated tremendous resilience. It’s natural that this will have depleted your reserves.

Press pause and give yourself time to be kind to yourself and to rediscover your hope, and to build back your reserves. Feeling dreadful can be part of the process of rebuilding.

I find it helpful to appreciate the small things – the taste of tea and a good book. Then one foot at a time. One small goal a day.

I LOVE @cameron‘s post:
Yesterday is history
Tomorrow is a mystery
Today is a gift
That’s why we call it the present.

jayjay10
1 week ago

Hey Rachael,

Thank you for those very kind and loving words, it is very much appreciated. Xx

Hey Angie,

I have tried counselling before but my history of symptoms gets the better of me as the information and encouragement that is provided for me if broken once I am experiencing moments of severe discomfort. I have tried training my mindset but the very littlest of things has the control over me. Your comment and help is of very great value Angie.

Hey Beefree,

You literally generated a smile from me that I haven’t produced in a long time, I will take those words on board as I continue my adventure in life. I would just like to say that tea is my remedy whilst through the darkest of days, I sure do need my tea. 😉

Thank you so much guys!!! Xx

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.