Last reply 4 years ago
Looking for Professional Women with MS

Hi,
I am a female professional at a senior leadership position and I am looking for other women with MS in professional leadership roles who I can talk to. I have often had to hide the effects of MS from clients, struggle out of bed and find all sorts of tricks to keep my memory from failing, whilst keeping teams together and achieving in my profession.

Is there anyone else out there going through the same thing?

Thanks
Esther

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

katfight
4 years ago

@estherforeman I have worked as a manager for numerous years in my field, diagnosed November 13, had t quit my job a few months ago due to be dismissed from my role to a less senior role. I now work for another company doing a similar role but I am shattered! I do not disclose ms to anyone and find this a struggle but I prefer it that way. Meetings with other professionals is the worst especially if it’s not at my office. I have 3 fans that face me on full day in day out i can’t cope in heated rooms and my thought process floats away from the subject. I manage by eating small but often, I carry breakfast bars with me and a cold drink wherever I go.

Anyway enough about me, I talk to much lol.. how long have you been diagnosed, is the stress of work worth it in the long run 🙂 x

wilf
4 years ago

I used to work in a high pressure job and quit before I even knew what was wrong with me.

As stumbler has said in other posts, high stress at work is damaging. Even though it hurt to give up my career, my life & health is worth more.

judy-gy
4 years ago

I am. I have loads of support at work
How can you tell the person with M.S. at the meeting? They are their first. ( someone said this here I think, I now say it all the time).
Jx

katfight
4 years ago

@wilf How do u know when / what is to much and damaging? X

charli4
4 years ago

Hello,
My name is Charli. I’m a 40 year old married woman of blended family with 8 kids. 4 mine 4 his. I was diagnosed with MS 2 weeks ago. I am a property manager for a large community. I am also looking for someone to talk to.

I’m scared.
Charli

wilf
4 years ago

I was feeling stressed, anxious with heart palpitations. I just felt no job is worth this and quit. I’m glad I did as I know there is no way I could manage that job now.

Even my admin job I have now is tiring and my new life plan is to stop work in 6.5years once the mortgage is paid off. The MS has made us (me & hubbie) rethink our priorities and we’ve chosen life and happiness, not work and money.

katfight
4 years ago

@wilf good on ya, life and happiness is definitely worth more..

@charli4 don’t be scared, were all here to help each other! I know it’s so hard to understand and try and deal with but stay focused and most importantly positive 🙂

X

charli4
4 years ago

Hi there,

Now that I know what’s wrong I’m trying to take it all in before I make any big decisions. The one thing I do know is my job is very stressful!
I can’t imagine that ever changing either.
So I will have to make healthy choices and changes for myself
The money and benefits are great! But my health and happiness is most important to me and my family. I’m not sure what to do but work is getting to be to much. I start Avonex this week. Anyone have any experience or information to share about that?

tiggermum
4 years ago

I was the Training Manager for an online company – dealing with training on all the software used, by all the contractors. Despite everything being remote and online, the bitchiness that crept in was something I decided I couldnt and wouldnt handle. Part of the issue came from the management (or one member) who didnt like me having MS – but never said anything. Things changed when I told them. So I resigned – rather I didnt renew my contract.

For the next few weeks, I struggled as I missed being needed. But I decided I couldnt have things both ways, I needed myself more than anything, and I didnt need the stress caused by the job.

I am now three months down the line, feel much brighter and dont miss it at all.

hasti18
4 years ago

Similar to tigger mum, I had a high profile manager role and everything was fine until I was honest about my condition. Things turned for the worse but I have such support around me and the insight to see I could move on from that company. Do not get me wrong the Money was perfect but certainly not worth a penny if it could be detrimental to your future with your loved ones. I am currently taking a break from work until November when I will start a lovely role without the manager label, at first this did worry me as it was all I’ve known and I’m good at it but I hope I can still empower and develop people, perhaps in a different way. Family, friends, experiences and happy memories are really the most important to me. if you have being given an insight to life, which I believe, when your diagnosed you do, then listen to your body,family, friends, the ms community and sod everything else and you’ll be happy and aspiration in life we should all strive for.
Best of luck
Sara

wilf
4 years ago

@charli4 the same things have happened to me. I was 43 when life changed, quit career, year of tests and MRIs, then at age 44 (Jan 14) was diagnosed with RRMS and started on Avonex.

It’s been ok. I was really scared at first, then found out it wasn’t the end of my life. Had a few down times; worrying about the future, what was going to happen to me, needle phobia, guilt about chucking away a life’s career and all that education…

I’m in a good place at the moment, made some good friends at the local MS group, husband has taken over my injections, he looks after me and is much more loving than he used to be (had to be an upside).

The Avonex works for me, haven’t had a relapse for 8months. I still dread injection day and feel a bit fragile for a couple of days but its getting easier. I’ve adapted my life to cope with the MS, got an automatic car, cut down on activities to avoid/manage fatigue (I’m still learning that one)

cameron
4 years ago

I worked for five years post dx in a senior management education role. First decision: who to disclose to. My boss and the guy i/c personnel but no-one else. Second: boss suggested job adjustments to reduce the amount of walking/stairs daily. This involved a move to a ground floor office, plus a change of focus to increase my admin role while reducing more physical aspects of the job such as lengthy health and safety walkabouts. My advice would be to try and quantify what’s difficult, think hard about possible ways round the issues and then have the conversation with your boss. But don’t do anything in a rush…. if you’re at the stage of not knowing how the MS is going to affect you, you may need to keep your thoughts to yourself for the time being. You want to come over at work as someone in control of themselves and their condition, not an unpredictable liability, so you’ll need the full support of your medical team. If you have any issues with your GP or consultant, now is the time to change teams/doctor. Also, it could be a good idea to try out your thoughts on work on someone unconnected. Depending on how sympathetic they are at work, you may only have one chance to put across your case, so play it carefully. It can be done. xx

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.