Last reply 5 months ago
Length of time

So I have a random question for those who live with RRMS like myself. When’s you have a relapse how long does it usually last? I am currently experinceing a relapse that has lasted for two weeks now and it’s had a huge impact on me not just physically but mentally as well.
I’ve had times that I’ve felt so alone even though I am not as I am surrounded by friends and family. I don’t know why I’ve felt this way, maybe cause no one really gets what I’m going through? I guess I’m just wondering how much longer this will last…

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
5 months ago

@gingerrr , there are no hard and fast rules about relapses. MS is just unpredictable!

If this relapse is severely affecting your quality of life, you could contact your Neuro, to discuss the use of High Dosage Steroids.

This won’t alter the outcome of this relapse, but it will bring that outcome forward.

Your feeling of loneliness is something that we can all understand. The only people who “get” MS are those that have MS!

avox
5 months ago

My relapses tend to last around 6 weeks or so. My last one (in February) I was given steroids about a month in as my hands were particularly bad and I was struggling to type at work – two fingers on my left hand have only just recently got back to pretty much normal though.

Your best bet is to give your nurse a call if you have one, especially if you’re struggling with your everyday activities!

I’ve found knitting (badly might I add) helped with getting the feeling back in my hands a little and very gentle yoga for general feeling a bit better!

grandma
5 months ago

I am an old codger who has had the beast for 25 years and although everyone is different learning when you are relapsing and not just having a bad couple of days is important. I used to relapse 3 times a year, losing my sight which was frightening. I gave now learnt that if my arm goes dead for more than a couple of hours then I need to get to the hospital quick for steroids, which usually works on my sight in a few hours, in patient for 4-5 hours, home again and recovery used to take 2-3 months to be back to ‘real’ normal. When I was first diagnosed this used to happen 3 times a year so I has a month of normal and then it all started again. I was just going on placebo trial of Avonex when NICE said yes so it became a dosage trial and we all got the real thing. 3 years on the trial which was great for me, the DMT was supposed to reduce relapses by a third, it worked so well for me that I was going from everyonths every 3months to every 3 years. But after 2 relapses in 5 months last year the medics decided the Avonex wasn’t working any more so they changed me to Tecfidera 5 months ago and so far it seems to be working, only time will tell.But I reiterate, all relapses are different, recovery is different, we are all such individuals (that’s what makes us so interesting! So you need to know what is a proper relapse and to get it treated as quickly as possible. Good luck😍

grandma
5 months ago

By the way, forgot to say, we totally understand the loneliness, nobody but a fellow mser can understand, but getting better is aided by cutting out stress, resting and sitting down doing nothing (boring isn’t it) but it all helps. It’s great that you have family around but we’re always here for an understanding moan, rant, celebration, cry, we don’t care it’s nothing we haven’t done ourselves😍 Jill

potter
5 months ago

My last relapse the right half of my body went numb. The steroids help me get around better but it took 3 months for all of the numbness to disappeared. Potter

tessa
5 months ago

45 years ..so no norms

tessa
5 months ago

45 years with no relapse is what I meant

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.