Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

merfield
11 months ago

Hi @chris, can’t tell from your profile if you’re RR or PP or what, but for me being PP there is only the Ocrelizumab option, that’s when and if it approved in the uk.

californiadreamin
11 months ago

I think there are a lot of factors to making that decision but it would be based on circumstances. Are you asking for yourself or just the pros and cons given any particular situation?

Anonymous
11 months ago

I’m rrms and i asked my my neuro about the criteria with this, and was told for me because i had m.s. more than 10 years your not eligible. Hopefully for ppms it will be available more freely, as its a 1st. Also hope spms gets a treatment soon.

matic91
11 months ago

What is actually the main difference between Lemtrada and Ocrelizumab? I had Lemtrada but read about many benefits of Ocrelizumab. Are there how to say same strong medications?

tracyd
11 months ago

@matic91

The 2 treatments target different CD types and different cell types.

Lemtrada is an anti-CD52 monoclonal antibody which targets T&B Cell Lymphocytes – 2 treatments 1 year apart 5 concurrent days at the start and 3 concurrent days a year later. Lemtrada in the UK is approved for the treatment of RRMS only.
Trial statistics showed :
It reduces the number of relapses by about two thirds (70%), compared to taking placebo

Ocrelizumab is an anti-CD20 monoclonal antibody which targets mature B-cells
Ocrelizumab is an experimental drug which is being tested as a treatment for relapsing remitting and primary progressive MS. It is taken as an intravenous infusion every 6 months. The first dose is given as two separate infusions, two weeks apart. Further doses are given as one infusion every six months.
In the US Ocrelizumab is under special lisence before FDA approval for the treatment of Progressive forms of MS which is currently woefully lacking in treatment options and the trials for this have shown promising responses
Trial satistics so far indicate :
In relapsing remitting MS, ocrelizumab reduced relapse rates by approximately 50% compared to beta interferon
In primary progressive MS, ocrelizumab reduced 12 week disability progression by 24% compared to placebo

For me Lemtrada was and still is my treatment choice of preference. It’s less invasive to my life, less risky with side effects and more effective in reducing my RRMS to nothing more than a footnote in the background.

Hope this helps

matic91
11 months ago

@tracyd thank you very much 🙂 now i feel like a real doctor 🙂 🙂
im also on Lemtrada, i mean i was, but the second dosis kind of didnt have a profound effect on me. My issues got better, but not as much as they did after the first dose in 2015. Besides nowadays i kind of notice that after showering my skin, especcially in the chest areas gets red. Is this a normal reaction? Did you have any side-effects after Lemtrada?

tracyd
11 months ago

@matic91

I had the usual steroid, antiviral and infusion reactions even the lovely attractive itchy rash is just a general infusion reaction can be referred to asurticaria and pruritus

I have nothing at all that I can put my finger on and say that it was ‘lemtrada’ other than the incredibly low lymphocyte counts which was the objective of the treatment in the first place.

The redness after showering – my first thought was have you changed your shower gel / soap / shampoo / conditioner ? A new water softener or something fitted in the home ? If it was something more sinister I would expect that this would be happening under different circumstances too

What were your MRI results like at the between R1 and R2 check ?

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.