Last reply 2 months ago
Legs are so week

I have just recently been diagnosed but things seem to be changing fast. I have multiple lesions in my spine and brain and started ocrevus. I have always worked out and 6 months ago was running 5ks but last night walked a lot and my legs were so tired and had shooting pains in my legs and arms all night. This is a crazy disease

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
2 months ago

@vicki_jenczmionka , MS can take so much from us, but you are now diagnosed and on a good treatment.

Stay active and exercise moderately. There’s no reason why you can’t build yourself back up.

cameron
2 months ago

Yes, just as things are changing fast for the worse, they may well change again and for the better! It’s going to depend on how quickly you can develop a routine/way of living that doesn’t upset the MS. When ‘all the ducks are in a row’, i.e. when you’re getting the right amount of sleep, the right kind of exercise and diet and have managed to reduce your stress, you may be pleasantly surprised at how well you do. This all takes time, though! It’s often a case of trial and error, so try not to be impatient!

aromastoff
2 months ago

I am just sending you a bit of hope – I have always been active (100m bike rides, 30m night hikes), and after the diagnosis, seem to be unable to get up the stairs.
In hindsight, though, a LOT of that was the power of my mind. That’s not to say for one second that the symptoms were imagined, they were VERY real. But the mind was under a state of trauma (due to the diagnosis), and the stress reaction increased the intensity of symptoms I didn’t even know I had up to then! Incontinence, hallucinations, you name it.
But a year and a half in, and thanks to lots of therapy, am I now almost back to normal.

There are times (season changes are not great) where I am somebody with MS, and I have to respect that and don’t do as much, and rest plenty. I am dropping stuff as my hands are not controllable and I can only work half the hours I should be doing. But then there are times, and they outweigh the bad times, in which I can honestly say I forget I have MS.

It will get better. Give it time. And deal with it actively (therapy etc.), as I believe this accelerated the process of acceptance and stress reduction for me. 🙂
Karin

vixen
2 months ago

Hello @vicki_jenczmionka, even though you are newly diagnosed and already on a strong treatment, being diagnosed will probably take a year to absorb and fully come to terms with. I dealt with it OK and kind of got on with it, but looking back now I can see that I really needed a year. Lots of us refer to looking for ‘the new normal’ after diagnosis. Well, I’ve been diagnosed two years now and still trying to work out what constitutes normal! The difference is, I’m much more at one with the diagnosis now. I’m not ‘at peace’ with it as such, because this condition is an unwelcome invader. But with healthy diet, rest, medication and a strive for balance, life will start to calibrate itself for you. And finding Shift will hopefully help support you when you need it or have questions x

cameron
2 months ago

@vixen: ‘CALIBRATE’ exactly sums up the process of balancing everything out, working out what suits and doesn’t, weighing up the pros and cons of the everyday decisions we have to make….. to finally arrive at a way of living that minimises the impact of the MS. But as you say, it takes time. xx

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.