Last reply 7 months ago
Left with 2 options?

I am currently trying to decide which treatment to start after I stopped my Gilenya treatment. I have been on Gilenya twice once for 16mths then I stopped to try for a baby. When my baby was 4mths old I relapsed and was put back on Gilenya after my steroid treatment. I told the neuro that I didn’t think Gilenya worked for me due to constant debilitating headaches I suffered before. They convinced me to try it again so I did. Needless to say I suffered constant nauseating headaches only this time with a toddler. My 3 MRI’s since my 2011 diagnosis all show something and I’m due my fourth MRI in May. Because something always shows up my neuro told me I only have two options. Tysabri or Lemtrada my question is one is a monthly infusion and the other is 6 monthly infusion. Both of which can cause cancer. So I’m really at a loss as to which one will be the right one. Any help would be much appreciated.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.


stumbler
7 months ago

@meeko , Tysabri is an ongoing monthly infusion, whereas Lemtrada involves infusions over 5 consecutive days in year one and 3 consecutive days in year two.

Some people on these treatments might have contracted cancer, but, they may have been going to get cancer anyway! Cancer is a risk for everyone, whether on meds or not.

Have a read of the relevant sections of this brochure:-

https://support.mstrust.org.uk/file/store-pdfs/MS-Decisions-ALL.pdf


meeko
7 months ago

Thank you so much for getting back to me. I probably just saw the word cancer and get a bit scared when I read the pros and cons of the treatments. Either way a decision will have to be made on which one I’ll go on.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.