Last reply 1 month ago
Itchy scalp

Hi all,

Does anyone have any advice/tips to ease a really itchy scalp? Itchyness under the skin comes and goes and is bearable but my scalp as been this way for a week now and is driving me mad.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

grandma
1 month ago

Do you think it is caused by the Tecfidera? If so the problem will not be alleviated by normal creams erc., because it internal and won’t be helped by ‘rubbing something on’ your ms nurse is the person to ask about it, I’m sure there is something she can prescribe to help😍

calnffc
1 month ago

I guess it might be made worse by tecfideria maybe, i was on rebif before though and still had itchy spells so not sure.

stumbler
1 month ago

@calnffc , yes, do get in contact with your MS Nurse in the first instance.

You could also have a word with your local pharmacist to discuss whether an Over-the-Counter (OTC) anti-histamine might help………….

sherryak
1 month ago

@calnffc, when I started reading your post, I immediately thought of my unbearably itchy scalp. Mine started itching while I was at work & I wondered if that was what fleas or lice felt like. I was pretty upset & wondering where I could have gotten fleas or lice. (I wondered all of this while trying to scratch the itch like a crazy animal.) I finally had to use the bathroom. When I went to wash my hands afterwards, I saw that my face was swollen (especially my lips) & that I had hives all over my face. That was when I figured out that I was allergic to Naproxen. I had started Naproxen that morning for a broken ankle that I had been to the doctor for just the prior day. I had taken Naproxen prior to that day & never had any issue with it; but after identifying it & stopping it, I was amazingly healed.

I am droning on & on just to mention that you might want to eliminate a few things – fleas, lice, allergies if you’ve started something new (pill, shampoo, conditioner, hairspray, gel, etc.). I’m glad that the itch is somewhat bearable right now, but you probably need to figure out the cause before it becomes unbearable. Good luck!

mhworden
1 month ago

Oh that lovely crawling sensation yet there is nothing there! Just talking about it has got me running for my soft tip hair brush for a good scalp massage😉

jodieb
1 month ago

You would not believe the amount of times I have checked my scalp for headlice; dragged one of those teeny combs through my thick curly hair, only to find nothing! I can’t blame medication because I’m not on any as yet, so I try to manage it as best I can with vigorous brushing while blow drying it 😬

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.