Last reply 8 months ago
Is Gluten good or bad for MS?

Dear whom it may concern,

Having Gluten out of your diet or in your diet for MS?
VivC

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

nutshell88
9 months ago

I have bread wheat everyday and havent noticed a anything negative. But my MS hardly ever attack me since daignosed idk.

potter
9 months ago

I haven’t heard of any MS gluten connection. My daughter in-law decided she was gluten intolerant and decided to go on a gluten free diet. The new diet didn’t fix her problem and now she is gluten intolerant because she quit eating it. She didn’t go through the testing process for it, you know the old saying, ‘Be Careful For What You Wish For.’ Potter

californiadreamin
9 months ago

I have heard several neurologists say that for most people it seems to make no difference at all, but for a few it seems large enough of an impact that they cant totally dismiss the connection. My guess is that some people may have a more inflamatory or allergic response. The recommendation they had was simple. Go off it for 3-4 weeks completely and then add it in again. When you add it back in, it will be obvious if its impacting you. Unclear even if it bothers you if it impacts your MS, but as a general rule of thumb if your body doesnt like something, its at least not going to be good for your MS.

My wife went with OMS and that was a big enough change we didnt stop gulten. We tried to move to whole grains and added a lot more variety so the amount of gluten has gone down a lot just because we eat so much more diversely.

tracyd
9 months ago

Celiac’s have to live gluten free for a good reason – it makes them terribly ill. Living gluten free is an unhealthy way for Celiac’s to live – it makes them more ill – but slightly less so than if they ate gluten.

Eat healthily and in moderation and steer clear of faddy buzz word diets or pymramid schemes dressed up as ‘almost cures’

chezy17
9 months ago

Hi.

I cut out gluten after my vitamin levels weren’t rising and I was taking an industrial dose, so to speak. Once I stopped eating it, my Vit D and folate and B12 levels are over maximum now, think it was stopping me absorbing my vitamins. I feel alot better without most of the time :-).

Take care.

cameron
9 months ago

Last January I did an eight-week Blood Sugar Diet, which tries to eliminate starchy carbohydrates, replacing them with whole grains, increased vegetable intake and carb substitutes e.g. cauliflower rice, celeriac mash, quinoa etc. I lost a stone pretty easily and then took the advice of maintaining the principles, if not the portion control, of the diet. I’ve hardly touched potatoes, pasta, bread and rice since, in the process becoming 90% gluten-free, although that wasn’t the aim of the exercise. At the weekend, though, I indulged in two mince pies – standard supermarket variety – and had a most uncomfortable stomach for hours afterwards. I’m thinking that @potter is right and that I’ve unintentionally become gluten-intolerant. I’m not bothered particularly and I’m not about to trade in my flatter stomach! I don’t see how being gluten-free can impact directly on the MS, but it has definitely improved my overall health.

avox
9 months ago

I cut out gluten and dairy in February of this year and noticed a big change in my symptoms.

If I accidentally eat gluten or dairy now I know within minutes as my hands and feet tingle quite aggressively for about an hour or two. I don’t get any kind if stomach problems when this happens however so that’s enough for me to know there’s clearly something going on for me.

lorag
9 months ago

I went gluten free for a few years and felt better I was following the swank diet. I have gone back to gluten products because of cost and have stomach problems all the time. I think just eat light and healthy is the way to go. Cut down on saturated fats. If have bread, pasta etc just don’t have too much.

vivc
9 months ago

Dear Everybody

You had a good christmas and looking forward till the new year. My MS is worst in winter
but let everyone enjoy the festive season.
Regards
VivC

dmargarita
8 months ago

@vivic my neurologist recommended a gluten free diet. He said that the problem with gluten is that it triggers inflammation so i decided to go for it. I know that a gluten free diet is very difficult but when i started 4 years ago i realized that if i cooked at home (making some adjustments) and try to stay away from fast foods i could make it work. Once or twice a year i crave something with gluten so i go ahead and eat it. I wouldn’t say i became intolerant to gluten but i do feel heavy and bloated when i eat it, i guess my body is not used to it anymore. I know is a big change with no guarantee that it will help control your MS or the symptoms, but if you want more information about my experience or decide to go for it and want some recipes you can DM me.
There is not a lot of information about gluten and MS but maybe you can look uo gluten and autoimmune disease.

hollylb10
8 months ago

Gluten is not good for MS in my opinion. A gluten free diet is good for any autoimmune disease! https://www.glutenfreesociety.org/multiple-sclerosis-caused-by-gluten/

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.