Last reply 3 months ago
Incredible Opportunity from UCL

@carlak from here posted this on Twitter. https://twitter.com/CarlaKCoach/status/1093092741448380416?s=19

UCL is leading an MSc in Disability, Design and Innovation with three scholarships being provided by the Snowdon Trust. https://www.disabilityinnovation.com/msc-ddi

I am definitely an unabashed supporter of the Snowdon Trust as they supported part of my recent postgraduate studies.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

There are no categories assigned yet.

grandma
3 months ago

Great that somebody has realised that we make up a significant proportion of the population, wouldn’t it be nice if at least 1 person who is disabled themselves gets one of the scholarships. Can a 62 year old grandmother apply😜🙏🏻

dominics
3 months ago

Yes they can. Go to the Snowdon Trust website, it is purely for supporting education for people with a disability. They were so helpful when I applied. Lord Snowdon, the photographer, had cycstic fibrosis himself. I sat with his wife at lunch one day and she explained how passionate he was about using his money to lower the barriers for disabled folk.

Dame Tanni Grey-Thompson is the patron, a more fitting individual I cannot think of.

Go for it and apply. I’ll bet they’d be delighted if you were to do so.

grandma
3 months ago

I tried but the giving age page only goes down to 1959 , was born in 1956 , so I assume that don’t deal with people over 60 , their loss, ‘ ce la vie’👹🥊

dominics
3 months ago

@grandma – don’t give up so easily. Many things like that are because the website designer who wrote the page is – I am generalising here, I realise – a young man on the edge of a spectrum 😉 Anything past 1980 seems like an improbable date to them. Dinosaurs and so on…

It is not uncommon that the organisation will have no idea. After all, they wouldn’t want to be accused of any form of discrimination, especially for a course like this. If you have the capability – end of discussion.

grandma
3 months ago

Dear Dominic, just spoke to UCLA, they are changing web site age thing immediately and calling me back. Young lady seemed very interested and didn’t see a problem with an ‘older’ person wanting to join the course, in fact she thought it was a great idea🎉 Watch this space👍😜

dominics
3 months ago

Great work, @grandma . I was talking this morning to an MS’er who, like me, has a background in sales. We were laughing as there is no such thing as no, only the reasons for the apparent refusal to be investigated further.

Roger has a great blog about his MS experiences – warts and all – at http://www.wholesorts.com

He has an amazing attitude and great insights. He is also on Twitter @rogersouthall4

stumbler
3 months ago

You’re an inspiration to all of us, @grandma . 😊

grandma
3 months ago

Just thought I’d give you the latest update, trying to fill in the form for the Msc at UCL, hit a blockade because I have nothing from 42 years ago when I did my degree at Keele, which was a brand new ‘red brick’ University at the time. The OU didn’t exist in those days, and as a rule the records the Univercity keep don’t go back that far, to quote Dominic, were dinosaurs! but we’re still trying. One has to have already done a degree to do a Msc so will keep trying. Lots of useful advice from the admissions office at UCL because I have to be accepted on this course before I can apply to the Snowden Trust for a bursary with some help to attend the course. Keep watching this space😜

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.