amritsokhi 09/03/17
Last reply 1 year ago
I find it hard

Hi everyone i have started the ms diet been couple of months longing for wrong foods though family has chips and chocolate I feel so disheartened wish they would help then bringing junk food in the house should I tell them to support me or should I turn a blind eye?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the β€˜x’.

californiadreamin
1 year ago

Which MS diet are you following there are a number? We follow OMS and are actually pretty happy about it as a family. I think asking people not to do things is pretty hard and might be better on what you can do. So we make a green smoothie (with fruit) each day. When the kids come home, we all drink it together. The drinks arent the best in terms of taste but not to bad either, so they jug it down. As a family they realize being more healthy is important (for their own benefit). By adding something, it helps them drop their needs cravings etc. Personally its hard to see others eat things, but its also important in our family for kids to realize that MS is not the end of things and we can still enjoy and lead happy lives. I try not to eat sugar since my wife has MS and be in solidarity with her, but we actually want the kids to have cookies and crackers now and then for sure. Almost all my cravings have gone away now after being free of them for several months (though not for my wife). It might take a different amount of time for each person to adjust. So bottom line, I would encourage the family to move towards a healthier lifestyle gradually for their own sake. In the end you probably have all the motivation you need: Your life will likely be physically better by taking care of yourself.

Thats my thoughts, but we are still trying to figure things out….

lucyh
1 year ago

Hi, it is difficult to change habits of a lifetime….it takes so much TIME to get used to the changes! I suggest you lead by example, hard as that is; your family will become curious etc. and I agree with the comment above, it is better for everyone to have a healthy diet.

I’m lucky enough to have a supportive husband and a young child, but they things I cannot eat and that is all right with me (I know they are not great for me) and I don’t actually agree with a vegan diet for a child, although many others would.

Try to have dedicated space, so you know when you get to that part of the fridge/freezer/cupboard, it’s all okay for you to eat.

Take care and I bet you are stronger than you think you are πŸ˜‰ XXX

doubleo7hud
1 year ago

What diets are available I fancy a health kick nowt weired tho like sheeps testy satchel just normal diets thanks

cocofloyd1
1 year ago

I’ve cut out sugar,bread,fizzy drinks,milk and takeaways for the past five weeks. It was so hard to begin with as hubby and two teenagers eat so much rubbish and I struggled at start. I’ve now noticed they aren’t eating as much sweets etc maybe I was the instagator haha or if it’s just becoming a habit the whole family are adopting. Tbh I thought I’d have a lot more energy but it might take longer for my body to adjust as I was really bad for sweets,cakes and crisps! On the plus side I’ve lost 12lb in weight so happy with that😊

lucyh
1 year ago

@cocofloyd1 you are speaking my language…I don’t feel any better (although that could be because I’ve also had the flu and had a pseudo-relapse) and I’ve lost a lot of weight, which was not a priority of mine!!

cocofloyd1
1 year ago

@lucyh
Aw that’s a shame mabey that’s what it’s been then. Hopefully we shall feel the benefits soon if not I can see myself buying a big chocolate fudge cake haha! There’s nothing worse than losing weight when not wanting/needing to! I don’t want to lose much more as my jeans fit again just want to feel energised. Take Care 😊

lucyh
1 year ago

@cocofIoyd1 t’s a pity you’re not in Cambridge….although it doesn’t have a monopoly on it(!), there are a couple of great places here for vegan cakes…I genuinely think we need a bit more sunshine too, so I’m guessing summer will see us feeling better, and looking like a million dollars (went to the hairdressers today..she said: what would you like? I said: can you make me look like a 22-yr-old again?!!), have a great weekend xx (also Celtic, but of the Irish variety πŸ˜‰

makkymee
1 year ago

Hi all,

I try to eat healthy despite sometimes falling off the healthy wagon πŸ™‚ It takes a while for your body to realise it’s not too bad although sometimes I do have flashes of chocolate. Being a complete chocol-aholic I can smell it a mile away. I have a sweet treat every day of chopped fruit in a couple of tea spoons of yogurt with nuts and seeds. I also eat lots of fruit and veg as I’ve heard your plate should be as colourful as possible.

Happy eating
Makky

hels99
1 year ago

I started changing my diet over a year ago but I did it step by step and have managed to avoid cravings (and cake envy) that way (eg I gave up dairy and (most) wheat a year ago and refined sugar about four months ago). I also introduced new things over time – I wouldn’t have gone a day without chocolate a year ago and now I crave medjool dates. That said if I do want something off menu (mostly chocolate – but only had that once since xmas) I’ll have it and don’t worry about it. It doesn’t bother me when other people eat junk around me and I think that is because I’ve done it gradually and I prefer my way of eating now. I’ve lost a lot of weight and feel much better but have no idea if it is helping with my MS or not.

stephz
1 year ago

I went cold turkey – straight after my diagnosis I got a book on nutrition and MS from my mum and I implemented a lot of the recommendations. I replaced chocoalte with energy bites – my favourite are cashew-cranberry coconut and I swear they taste like white chocolate. I also make a batch of flapjacks on sundays for the week that I leave on the countertop – my bf and I both take some for lunch or after work snack. The hardest part for me was cooking from scratch since I’m not a big cook and I don’t really enjoy cooking – however I looked for yummy recipes (mostly using pinterest) and tunrned cooking time into me time with fun music. The dishes are yummy and I can see the benefits – mostly the weight loss and level on energy. Not sure if it impacts the MS but it definitely made me and my partner healthier. I made a little poster for our kitchen with what I can & can’t eat based on the nutrition book and it’s keeping us in check. We had friends visting this weekend and they commented on it and wanted one for their house – they don’t have MS but they liked the idea of the NO NO section I added.

At work I tend to bring my own food for events since that’s easier than asking for special diets and when travelling I stay in self-catering accommodation to do the same (work was happy with this request too). I don’t mind too much when other people eat things that I can no longer eat. However – I do have some treat days mostly to have some haribo – and I don’t feel bad about it – just go back to the new diet afterwards…

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.