Last reply 3 years ago
How to remain positive

How do you guys remain positive? I am really struggling with this at the moment. I had a relatively mild relapse start at the end of Jan, which got worse and ended up with me off work for a month. I went back to work beginning of March (without phased return – my choice to avoid HR involvement!…which in hindsight was maybe silly) and am struggling with work. I am so incredibly drained all of the time. And as a result I am pretty short-tempered. It’s not winning me any favours…

So, my question is – how do you all remain upbeat? I know I can’t be upbeat all of the time, but I’m starting to annoy myself now with my short temper and glass half empty outlook…..

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
3 years ago

It’s difficult to remain positive and upbeat all the time. The best any of us can hope for is to be positive and upbeat, most of the time.

We all have phases of this MonSter becoming H-U-G-E! But, we have to give ourselves time to put things back into perspective.

So, don’t be too hard on yourself at the moment. Just be patient and blossom with the spring.

In the meantime, just be careful where you vent your frustration. It’s best to unload here on the forum, where we understand, rather than cause an atmosphere at work or at home. 😉

caterpillar
3 years ago

@PurpleMinnie that is a question! 🙂
I still feel I haven’t got the answer. But what I find helpful is: meditation, relaxation, avoiding stress as much as is possible. Being short-tempered is often a sign of demands on you exceeding the resources you have at your disposal at this very moment. If you are tired, rest must be your priority.

Talking of which. I just went through my old MRIs and can clearly see that the worse MS progression on MRI happened in a 2-year period when I was in a very stressful job with a lot of shift-work, not enough sleep ( 5 hours/night), long commute, small kids, no meds ( I just could not take interferon AND work around the clock like an idiot) etc. Look after yourselves, people. You only have one life. 🙂

janep
3 years ago

Hi @purpleminnie, sorry you’re struggling at the moment- post relapse is definitely a tough time for trying to be positive so don’t beat yourself up. For me, the fatigue and frustration in this recovery period are almost worse than the relapse itself and I know I almost always push myself too far in this period due to the frustration of not being able to do stuff in the active relapse stage-which then means my recovery takes longer, cue more frustration and fatigue etc etc. Such fun! Sadly I can offer no cure for the fatigue/frustration combo but I will say be kind to yourself, try and find times, even if they’re very short, to give yourself some headspace or do something nice, it’ll feel ridiculously indulgent when the long list of everyday tasks and responsibilities are nagging you, but your physical and mental health will thank you in the longrun! It can be really hard at times like this not to focus on the negative stuff, the stuff we didn’t manage to do, the things that we feel we should have done better/quicker/whilst baking a cake but given the fact you’re recovering from a relapse, try and feel good about how much more you’re doing now than when you were off, and with less energy. We know how tough this is and we think you’re ace!! Jane xx

angelbum
3 years ago

Yes was struggling with remaining positive myself but this site has really helped me and there are many people on here that know exactly what your going through and we can totally relate to how you feel . My relapse started on 31st December and even now . I’m struggling with the fatigue and pain and stiffness etc

Seems like it’s taken so long to get back in track this time .

Not only that you get back on track then a maybe you feel a little bit better then you get hit by another one .

Sometimes I doesn’t feel like we get a break at all .

I find it hard cause there’s so many things I want to do and can’t .

If I do too much in one day I suffer the rest of week

It’s difficult but we have to remain positive and think everything passes with time .

Chin up 🙂 x

Anonymous
3 years ago

Either ill nor not, the secret of happiness is the same : living in present. So you can be much more happy when ill than when not ill if you really understood this. But it is the most difficult to apply.

gs960
3 years ago

I am on medication called Citalopram and I can truly say that it helps a lot especially if you are depressed. You may discuss it with your nurse.

cameron
3 years ago

I think you need a Plan! A list of what you could possibly do for yourself to improve the situation. First off: it’s interesting what Gs960 says. You may or may not be depressed clinically, but it would do no harm to go on anti-depressant meds for a short period. They might make all the difference. Secondly, the following advice for coping with relapse comes from my very wise neuro-physiotherapist.

1 Take as much gentle exercise as you possibly can.
2 Indulge your taste buds. Red wine, chocolate… whatever.
3 At least weekly, get your brain working with a challenging activity, e.g. reading something out of your comfort zone, doing puzzles or brain games.
4 Again, at least weekly, arrange a social activity that requires you to be actively social e.g. meeting friends who will engage you in stimulating conversation.
5 Take as many sleep-ins, siestas etc, as possible.

As you can guess, the above is designed to move from a stressed state into a better condition mentally, emotionally and physically so that your body is better able to heal itself. I have found that this ‘Plan’is a good way to start getting back control. xxxx

uka17
3 years ago

I’m trying to think about universe when I’m depressed. It’s quite silly and trivially, but we are so tiny in our universe and all our problems (I mean all humans in general) is so insignificant: with MS or without it. So, try to do your best and check what will happen.
http://static.pmylund.com/blog/content/2010/07/sun_is_a_pixel.jpg

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.