Last reply 3 months ago
How do you get around when it rains

Weird question but when you are using your walking crutches or walker or scooter what do you do when it rains?

Do you just wear a rain coat and get rained on or don’t go out?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
4 months ago

@lorag, I use two sticks and don’t move very fast. When it rains, I just get wet! 🙁

Sorry, that’s not much help. 😕

peterfrancis
4 months ago

Preparation is key, I use a Scooter as my legs and balance are simply not there most of the time.

Having an understanding of what the weather is going to be like before you set off certainly helps, no guarantees of course so a lot of the time it can be a case of trying your luck.

grandma
3 months ago

A weatherproof coat with hood is required. You can’t drive a mobility scooter whilst holding an umbrella! Other than that, if you get caught out as Stumbler says, you get wet!😍

lorag
3 months ago

Yeah I have the coat, I am applying for jobs and they may require me to park a distance from the office and it’s winter here at the moment and just seeing if there are other ways to make it easier.

Thanks

rolly
3 months ago

@lorag, a rain coat is the only thing really that will keep you dry, as obviously an umbrella is not an option. when i used to go out more often, i would always carry one of those cheap plastic rain coats (with hood) in my rucksack, so i was always prepared. these days i don’t go out when it rains, or when the weather is uncertain. i realise that may not actually be an option for you, of course, lol.

rivka
3 months ago

I give myself extra time, walk slowly, keep my eyes on the ground checking out the surface for uneven areas, plant the cane tip carefully, and sing “singing in the rain” to myself!

edmontonalberta
3 months ago

@lorag

As a child I loved the rain in warmer temperatures. Then MS took that fun away – the joys of getting older… LOL

mmhhpp
3 months ago

A rain poncho cover!

mmhhpp
3 months ago

@lorag
Rain poncho!

grandma
3 months ago

Dearest Lorag, it’s bank holiday weekend in the UK so of course it’s raining, heavily, I did my shopping yesterday in the dry but I forgot dog chews, and as I have 2 fairly large but totally loveable Airedales,I had to go out in the rain to get them. Hope they appreciate what I do for them! Got very wet, am back home now,wet trousers drying on the radiator. 12.45 , had lunch, am now going for a kip on the sofa under a blanket😇

yvonnemair
3 months ago

Yes that’s what I use in my chair, a rain poncho.

nutshell88
3 months ago

I didn’t reach that point yet
But yeah I had fallen few times when I was in the uk
Either it was because of MS or the fact that im not so used to rainy weather

sherryak
3 months ago

I don’t like umbrellas anymore & always try to have a raincoat instead. I have one that I leave at my sister’s house to have handy when I visit family. I have a thin one that I leave in my car. And of course, one at home. I have umbrellas everywhere too, but that’s only if I am completely desperate. Of course, I have a fold-up cane at all of those places too. I’m not a fan of being surprised.

lorag
3 months ago

Thank you everyone for your tips

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.