Last reply 1 year ago
Holidays with ms?????

Ey up and good bloomin moonin fellow msdebators just been farting about looking at holidays dreaming of relaxing and putting me feet up. Then had a lightbulb ๐Ÿ’ก moment *ping* ohhhh WTFIF I’m now a disabalist with three kids where can I go what can I do. Don’t fancy hot I’m a sun dodger which is probs why I got ms in the first place ๐Ÿ˜‚ be reet. Anyway I was thinking Wales, Iceland, Czech Republic, Cornwall etc…. anyone been have any suggestions travel tips advice or just random waffles to get off there chesticles

Tar muchly โœŒ๏ธ Safe breadbins

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the โ€˜xโ€™.

doubleo7hud
1 year ago

I hear Benidorm has a sh1t load of mobility scooters ๐Ÿ but for some reason just don’t fancy it before anyone suggests he he

stumbler
1 year ago

@doubleo7hud , anything is possible if we put our minds to it. Preparation is key, so plan your trips meticulously.

For what it’s worth, I suffer very badly in the heat – it can wipe me out in a matter of minutes, sapping all my strength. But, I believe it’s because of the UK heat, being humid and oppressive. I was alright in the Maldives, almost on the equator…….. ๐Ÿ˜•

red-suzuki
1 year ago

mmmmm…..yeah, @doubleo7hud, the sun is a real issue……..I Guess its what you can find for 3s/6pp…….anyway…I used to go to south of France, around Perpignan & that coastal med sea area, great for kids & messing about in sea, with good airport, with a wind called the ‘quatre vents’…..(4 winds, like the ‘mistral’ wind, normally arrives around 3pm each day), very cooling……ok this sort of time of year, hot in the their summer, though dry heat as Stumbler says….thought still finding some shade an option at times.

Anonymous
1 year ago

anywhere but Wales ๐Ÿ™‚

smiley_anne
1 year ago

Iceland is fun. Blue lagoon, horse back riding, water fall, ice bar, …..

Anonymous
1 year ago

theme park, take a letter to saying you have MS & bypass all the queues

Anonymous
1 year ago

Hey!

Come to not to Sunny Scotland? You could hire a log cabin there are lots loads down in the Dumfries & Galloway area. I was just down there in Feb, it’s a lovely part of Scotland. There is lots to do as well. Alternatively what about a Centre Parcs – they are fun too. I’ve been to Whinfell Forrest a few times.

Avril

mshackney
1 year ago

I love holidays. All my symptoms seem to disappear on holiday. I need to be on permanent holiday. Like stumbler in this country I find heat hard as exacerbates symptoms but in Greece where have been last couple of years absolutely fine – although that might be the Frozen daquiris helping.

Went skiing this year and didn’t think would be up to much as felt so rough before going but I managed 4 hrs skiing a day. Helped by apres ski of aperol spritz…… Not an alcoholic.

I would say go for it. I do go yo places where lots done for me so I am not stressing about cooking, entertaining kids too much.

mshackney
1 year ago

Suggestions wise how about Alps or somewhere out of ski season? So beautiful and air is fAntastic. Sunny but not boiling

doubleo7hud
1 year ago

@stumbler I’m gonna have to be organised, omfg that word makes me shudder ๐Ÿ˜‚ it’s a growd up word.

@red-suzuki France sounds good but I’d be scared of people strapping them self to the bottom of me car to get across the border. Poor buggers thinking they will get a better life then they end up in London can’t do it to em just not fair

@tog1 what wrong with Wales Rhechan fel ci defaid ar jaen gwta

@smiley_ann the ice bar sounds tempting after today I might move there sounds awsome

@avrilt got fam up in St. Andrews somewhere need the plan a visit at some point 6 hours in car with baby’s no fun but it’s on the never ending list of tings to do

@mshackney been on alps twice skiing ๐ŸŽฟ it is fecking awsome got to 3star gold think that’s good baby’s are as daft as there daddy tho unfortunately they will be jumping off the cliffs it’s on me bucket list for when I win the lottery tho want to take the missus. Do they do mobility skis or sledges ๐Ÿ˜‚ I think I’d be as much use as a pair of tits to a priest now.

Cheers for all the suggestions dudes all taken on board

heather_hockin
1 year ago

I find the heat of UK kills me, but no problems abroad.
I have been to Oz to follow the Lions Rugby in 2013, amazing. Some of the team began to recognise me on my Ferrari customised scooter !! (hubby’s joke!)
Plan, but go for it. I have been on cruises, (loads for kids to do), been to NZ, Italy, Bulgaria.Norway & Egypt. (wouldn’t recommend it at the moment!)
Don’t let your MS rule your life.
There is loads to do in. Wales. Fantastic holiday camp near us in Porthcawl.
Good luck

red-suzuki
1 year ago

tee hee…the hud…question,…….Yeah, you are so right, if you take a car over to europe now you might get folk strapping themselves to the bottom of it, not a good thought, well on a + point I guess, if they stay here in the south they at least won’t need a passport to go ‘t’ up ‘ t’ north or need to learn a new language ๐Ÿ™‚

red-suzuki
1 year ago

Seriously mucker, hope you find something…like @avrilt idea, Centre Parks, or something similar….I know British weather can be notoriously insane at times, but it might keep your traveling easier for you all & with no hangers on to worry about. All the best.

doubleo7hud
1 year ago

Bloomin passports expired ๐Ÿ˜‚ found it this morning so that’s me stoppin in the u of the k for now unless I strap me Sen tet arse end of someone’s car to ecaspe @red_suzuki

red-suzuki
1 year ago

๐Ÿ™‚ doubleohud …strap yourself to arse end of car ๐Ÿ™‚ , mind you, looks like, don’t pick a diesel if you do….

Oh dear, My passport expired too ๐Ÿ˜‰ , so things to do places to go hols here….Hey maybe its time for the fam visit to St. Andrews then, ooh tho, 6 hrs travelling & with babies………..do you like golf??……

doubleo7hud
1 year ago

Don’t mind golf mate never played I’m not posh enough he he

Anonymous
1 year ago

why not Wales? “Farting like a sheep dog on a short chain” pretty much sums it up ๐Ÿ™‚

doubleo7hud
1 year ago

I’m a Yorkshireman with a taste for leeks ๐Ÿ˜‰

hels99
1 year ago

Iceland is fab – hoping to go there again this summer. We did coach trips to get around which was fine although you could hire a car. Haven’t been to the Czech Republic since the 90’s – it was nice then but probably not very disability friendly although it may well have changed.
It is raining in Wales. ๐Ÿ™‚

kinga
1 year ago

haha you always make me laugh! ๐Ÿ™‚

Try Poland! Cheap and pretty, mild weather ( apart from July, August when its hot! and…winter season lol)

doubleo7hud
1 year ago

Cheers kinga

burgme
1 year ago

What about Hong Kong, if you avoid July & August, and you could sleep when it is hot as everywhere has air con and go out in the evening/night as everything comes alive then.

melaniemann
1 year ago

As I’m not good at walking too far, last summer we booked a villa on the Greek island of Kefalonia and I certainly made up the missed walking miles by snorkelling for hours each day as didn’t need to use legs much at all (ended up with biceps even Pluto would be proud of though!) It was so liberating to have no MS issues in the water and I easily kept up with everyone. I was always first in and last out. Exploring the underworld is just brilliant. Many OMG moments.
The only downside were the white knuckle car journeys over the mountains, as I hate heights.
Brittany coastline would be good for snorkelling and there are some great Eurocamp sites in France with kids clubs.
Happy holidays. Bring them on!!

mermaidia11
1 year ago

Alright Kidda! (that’s Scouse for a hello โ€“ I can’t speak Geordie)
After all that you have been through, a holiday would be just the ticket.
A Change is as good as a rest eh?

I thought I would put my tuppence worth in, now that I have finished falling over, breaking my hand/finger/trevailing nhs/pip etc and being a seasoned traveller with babies.
My babies are bigger now, but I don’t think I will ever forget The nightmare that was Eurocamp in France with them, Barbados (with a baby wtf was I thinking) where the heat nearly killed me and various package holidays over the years…
So I learnt the hard way!
If you can manage to sort a passport, then Tenerife turned out to be rather ace. Being a windy island, it has a permanent breeze which is great for keeping cool and it’s not that dry humid heat either. Adeje is amazing and has a long promenade to whizz up on a scooter and has loads of things for the kids to do, like Siam Park.

It’s a bit too much effort for me now, so I am thinking of a cruise?
Food and entertainment on tap and a permanent breeze? You can whiz round the boat on a scooter and get to see a lot of places at once ?

You will have time to sort a passport, and you may even have to travel up my end (Liverpool) to sort it out. If you can’t be hooped (Thats Scouse For bothered), then remember you don’t need a passport to get the boat to Ireland.
Having green blood running through my veins means I am biased, but trust me it’s a super fab magical place.
I took the kids there last year to see my relatives and we had the best time ever.
I drove The trusty old Benz down to the ferry and the kids were amazed by the whole boat trip/experience.
We had sing along the whole way, in between debating all manner of random subjects โ€“ which weirdly we all appreciated. ( I took my best friend with us to help but you have a gorgeous wife obs)
The baby may fall asleep with the lull of the engine
If the overdraft allows, you could even hire a motorhome and just go for it.
We might not be able to walk far, but with wheels, you can go anywhere and have a right adventure

Don’t let this fcuking illness
Stop you from doing anything and do it now while you can and feel like it.

Love and sparkles to everyone

doubleo7hud
1 year ago

Ooooooo Ireland ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช thanks @mermaidia11 that’s a phookin Beltin idea I don’t know I not needed a passport ๐Ÿ˜‚ Got august hols booked down in Dorset forward planning for next trip hope thee hand gets better/finger and thanks again for flashing yer tuppence but I’m a married man ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‰ Gotta run stick at work โœŒ๏ธ

potter
1 year ago

My husband and I are going to the Grand Canyon this year, it will still be cool but not cold in the middle of April. Two day drive to get there, next year Yellowstone anther two day drive. Think mountains lots of scenic driving not much walking. Potter

mermaidia11
1 year ago

Lol lol bejaysus you’re a little feckin tinker!
But also right, I have not got me tuppence worth in or out for a while …. (but like a bad penny I will keep on turning up)… (I crack myself up)

Feet up, it’s a long oneโ€ฆ LOL

MS can knock you down in your prime – and the big secret is ….that the trick is to get back up, dust yourself off and crack on.

It was a pleasure to read everyone’s holiday plans, everybody gave great comments- having something to look forward to does chase the dark clouds away
It’s the magic moments that count in life And that’s better medicine than anything.

I couldn’t afford a bus ticket to Bootle at the moment (but where there is a will, there is a way), so I am doubly glad that I grabbed life by its er cheeks and have seen the world already and did it when I could ….on a wing and a prayer.
There is a reason why this illness is called incurable, no matter what label or stage you are at.

So book it, pack it and fcuk off when and while you can
And don’t stress if you think you can’t. You will !

Charities get given large amounts of money by kind people to do more than advise you to phone adult social services.
Phone your local branch for some advice about grants.

… but if you do have to phone the social, make sure the occupational therapist recommends that you need a holiday. If you do, you may be able to get a free respite jolly in Scotland in a castle, legitimately away from kith and kin…. (or not, as the case may be)

I will post the link below.
No I won’t, I forgot I was rubbish on computers. But if you put it in Magical google LEUCHIE HOUSE.ORG.UK it should come up.

As the some of the other guests have brain tumours and motor neurone disease disease and the like as well as MS
….this place could well put things into perspective as well?
Just a thought for the UK members, not all of whom have jobs or partners to support them
, (or trinkets/fancy pants handbags to sell…)

Love light and magical sparklesโœจ๐Ÿ’•๐ŸŒˆโ˜ฎโœจ

doubleo7hud
1 year ago

๐Ÿ˜‚ thas a good en lass but take your own advice too if there’s no pot te piss in get thee Sen a jollys ms sos do hols too I think. I found out when I looked into it first looking for the posatives the rest can ballax cross that bridge when we get there or maybe a little bit before. Don’t think I will be going to leuchie house with all the sprogletts I’d drive the poor buggers crackers and then there’s the kids he he. Bloody good idea tho and if I need to escape on me Tod iv faved it just incase ๐Ÿ˜‚ Peace love n fairy poo back at choo @mermadia11 see thee soon lass take care and il see thee and thas tuppence again in much less time than before coz I like thee, thas awsome

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.