Last reply 4 months ago
Holiday beeing spms in wheelchair

Hi all,

Let’s see if some of you can help. Anybody with spms permanently in motorized wheelchair with carers has ever been on holiday?

I find the whole thing so difficult. I think I honestly have to say goodbye to planes: risk motorized wheelchair damaged and you cannot jump into any ordinary car…

I have 2 young kids 12 and 9 who are planning holidays with dad. I think my only option is uk, i can rent disable car and carers are a kind of easy to find

How you all do it? Is it time to stop?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

rolly
4 months ago

i hear ya!
last time for me was aboit 4 yrs ago and involved a long haul flight.
way out was ok, thanks toa upgrade to buz class. but wheelchair got damaged. nothing major and could be fixd, but needed a repcement for th fist two days. major stress.
while on holidsy things were mostly ok, though not as accessible as promised or expectedd.
way back was torture (no upgrde), and the trip left me utterly exhausted. i thing i neverr really recovred from it.
having said that, dont let yhat put you off. if you physically feel you have the strength, have your familys support and plan carefully (important!), you may make a bettr experience thani did.
i’m much less able now yhan i was then and woudnt hve the strength, so travel for me is well and truly over.
but eveyone is diferent, and its difficult to give you the advice that is right fo you.
wish u luck!

mmhhpp
4 months ago

Hey Rolly

Thanks for writing. Yes i see is difficult. Husband was not very optimistic, the situation is not optimistic either…..

Taking my motorized scooter is a no go. I ca not imagine that being damage, life will be over😖

I am going to make few calls today, will let u know…

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.