Last reply 8 months ago
Hey Im Jabulani Madhevhu

I had a lumber Puncture to screen for mengaitis on friday the 5th of January 2018 it was a success and the results where negative. I felt perfect till the next day the 6th i started feeling pain on my neck and becoming stiff as i was seated. Immediately as i lay down the pain went away. So went on a walk the next day the 7th and i started to feel my neck becoming stiff i returned back home went straight to bed and all was well as soon as i lay down. Up until this day the 10th if i sit for a while or walk i feel a headache and pain coming to my shoulders. Please help when will this likely end i work as a male model and a photographer and since the LP i havent done any work.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

spangle
8 months ago

Hi @madhevhu,

LPs recovery can be very nasty, but they do get better. When I had mine done, was told I should be fine the next day maybe a bit of a headache. The pain got so bad that I couldn’t even sit up without a headache so severe it made me feel sick.

I had difficulties though as the spinal fluid was leaking so took longer to heal. It took about 2 weeks of me lying on the sofa dosed up on tramadol.

Don’t worry though yours doesn’t sound as bad. Just don’t try to rush the healing process. I know it’s tough with work but try and take a couple of days. Just lye on your back and drink alot of water and some painkillers.

madhevhu
8 months ago

@spangle thank you much im smilling right now as u mentioned i would be fine soon. Happy to hear that u did recover from yours.

spangle
8 months ago

@madhevhu glad you’re smiling 😁

vixen
8 months ago

Hello there @madhevhu. When I had a lumbar puncture I ignored the advice to rest and lay flat afterwards. Because I felt OK the next day I went about my normal business. There followed the worst agony headache for three days afterwards. However, from the sixth day I started recovering. It sounds like you’re over the worst now but you should rest and take it easy until the headache finally goes. And it will, don’t worry. All the best!

houdini
8 months ago

Hi @madhevhu I had a traumatic LP last year and after 48 hrs of hideous pain went to emergency department and was assessed exactly like you describe. Leaking CSF the fluid they take to analyse where the would have been a tear when doing the LP as a non-Traumatic needle is used where I had it done. I had a ‘blood patch’ down in theatres that night and all sorted immediately I had that done. Recovered spontaneously! They draw around about 20 MLS of blood from arm in theatres and Consultant Aneasthetist then injects it into site where LP was taken, plugs the leak area. Seriously consider asking for help if like this tomorrow.
Take Care.

madhevhu
8 months ago

@vixen thank you so much for the feedback. All will be well soon i can feel it

madhevhu
8 months ago

@houdini i guess on my part its not so bad i did went on my day as u mentioned without any pain the procedure was done on the 5th of january around 4pm, i got discharged from the hospital the next day the 6th around 12 midday. All was well i did not feel any pain untill around 6pm on the 6th i started feeling my neck stiffen and pain on my shoulders and a little headache so i went to bed and all was well. So i just thought it to be a passing phase. As of now im only feeling the neck stiffen if i stand for long or sit for long but i feel fine

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.