Last reply 3 years ago
Help…am I having a relapse :(

Hi, I’ve only been diagnosed with ms since may, so don’t really know what to expect..yesterday towards the afternoon my sight has been strange the only way to describe it is a funny feeling maybe behind my eyes, maybe dizziness? I’m not sure, I went the drs today and she said I have a chest infection and that it could be why or it could be a relapse? I’ve been in tears all day because I’m so scared what’s going to happen that maybe this is the start of something building up? I get married in 3 weeks time and really want to be well for my wedding, I can’t stop crying I feel this year everything just goes from bad to worse ;(( I asked her if I could have steroids incase it is a release and she said I need to speak to ms team which as you can imagine is harder than just getting in touch with them..I have left a message for them to call me but you have to wait between 3-7days for a call back.. I’m not on treatment yet and should be starting towards the end of this year.
I feel like I’m going mad because I can’t explain the feeling of it it’s just really strange :(( thank you for reading and sorry for going on xxx

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

melissa-g
3 years ago

Firstly, I think you need to take a deep breath! Stressing and worrying about it really only makes things worse. It’s definitely possible that having an infection is making things act up a bit for you, this has happened to me plenty of times. Any time I get sick or have an infection I feel a lot worse and my MS symptoms act up even more. I would start with whatever your doctor prescribed for the infection and hopefully treating that will clear things up for you!

judy-gy
3 years ago

Oh gosh. oh gosh. right. I know others will post other informative information. To my limited knowledge, this does not mean it is a relapse. You may have effects that list a little while but may not be a relapse. I do know that infections can effect even the “well” neurologically, muscle ache /weakness. I did ask my neurologist today about my eye blurriness and he said it may be from an existing scar and could I take note of it it happened more after exertion. Having a chest infection makes everything more like exertion. You still need to get hold of the team…. Thinking of you and good luck. Jx

gemma1988
3 years ago

Thank you for your replys the Dr has given me amoxicillin, I’ve started to take them today.. I no I need to stop stressing going to try and just relax I just find this so hard :((
Judy I really hope that’s the case Ive told work I won’t be in tomorrow and just going to try and rest all day not as there very happy as had a lots of time off this year around my diagnosis 🙁 ..

Thanks again for replys xx

judy-gy
3 years ago

You have a chest infection….. no one should be at any type of work with that. If you had broken your ankle .. you would have been off. Please keep ringing M.S. team, it’s the squeaky wheel that gets the oil. Jx

cameron
3 years ago

Your body is having to cope with two different stresses: the chest infection but also all that adrenaline coursing through you as the big day approaches. In MS terms, your body is protesting! As has been said – take a deep breath. The antibiotics are tackling the infection and you can’t hurry up that process. Nor can you (or should you) stop feeling naturally excited about your wedding. What you CAN do is recognise that your symptoms haven’t come from nowhere but are reactions to these two ‘abnormal’ things going on. Try humouring your body by giving yourself little treats and taking every opportunity to pamper yourself. Could be a good time to try this out as you’re off work. (Warm baths, chocolate, nice DVDs…. whatever makes you feel relaxed). And if all else fails, pop along to the GP for some (temporary) help along the way in the form of anti-depressants. Obviously, too, keep ringing the MS team. We’ve all been there and we know how you’re feeling. Hang on in there, big hugs xx Kay

xristov11
3 years ago

After 30 years with MS my advice is always start HBOT (Hyperbaric Oxygenation Treatment). I have used it weekly with benefit for 30 years. It can help in the management of symptoms. It is available at any of the 65 MS Therapy Centres around the UK. They are all charities and registered with the Care Quality Commission. There are 12 cenrtres in Scotland. If you would like more information please email me.

Regards

Christopher

stumbler
3 years ago

@gemma1988 , having MS means that we have a compromised auto-immune system, which basically means that it doesn’t behave itself.

When you have a run-of-the mill infection, like you have with your chest infection, you auto-immune system is activated and this can cause a “pseudo-exacerbation” of your MS symptoms. This is not a true exacerbation/relapse, as these emphasised symptoms should quickly return to where they were before you got the infection.

You’re on anti-biotics for the infection, so hopefully this will clear up before your wedding celebrations start. 😉

tabbycat
3 years ago

Dear [email protected] I came down with the oddest symptoms a few weeks before my wedding many many years ago, long befor I got Ms. I think they were simply caused by worry, even though I was very much looking forward to getting married and I did not consciously have a worry in the world. I am no doctor, but it may be the same for you too. It is a huge day coming up and our bodies with or without MS, react oddly,so stay calm and take a deep breath. By the way, getting married was the very best thing I ever did in my life and the fact that your body is a bit fluttery, is not a sign that you are making any sort of mistake. I hope your big day goes well and much, much more importantly all the happy years to come .

gemma1988
3 years ago

Thanks tabby cat, I know I’ve had so much to do over the past few weeks, although I always live quite an active life it’s all been hectic 🙁 … I’m hoping its just that, I arnt getting any worse but dizziness is still there! That’s lovely to hear about your wedding, we’ve been together 10’years since I was 16 and just decided the time was right now, although this year has been horrible diagnosed with MS and the anxiety that goes with that we’ve stayed strong and I’m hoping the wedding will go well..and I will be well.
Thank you for your input stumbler I really hope it is that..it’s all so new I just presume I’m always having a relapse, it doesn’t help I’m so scared of having 1 And worry about that all the time. Still waiting for the Ms nurse to call me back!

Gemma xxx

xristov11
3 years ago

Dear Emma

I urge you to commence HBOT as soon as possible. There are 65 MS Therapy Centres around the UK which provide HBOT. They are all registered with the Care Quality commission.
I have used HBOT weekly with benefit for the 30 years I have had MS. I have not used prescriptive drug therapy but that is a personal choice. For more info on HBOT please email me.

HBOT is safe, simple, without any side effects and inexpensive at the charity centres. The earlier one starts the better. It helps in the management of MS symptoms and can slow down the progression of the symptoms.

Regards

Christopher

gemma1988
3 years ago

Xristov11 what is this therapy? I’m in Staffordshire I’ve never heard of this before? Xx

stumbler
3 years ago

@gemma1988 , the following link will show all the MS Treatment Centres countrywide:-
http://www.mstrust.org.uk/information/services/default.jsp?stype=MS+Therapy+Centres

Now, my geography is sadly lacking, but the Chester Centre may be your closest. Here’s their page on Hyperbaric Oxygenation Treatment (HBOT) http://www.neurotherapycentre.org/oxygen-therapy/

gemma1988
3 years ago

Thanks, it is the closest 1 I would struggle to get there as have 2 small children its a shame there’s not 1 closer.

Xx

xristov11
3 years ago

Starting HBOT is always a matter of location and domestic arrangements. I live in Eastbourne and the Sussex M|S Treatment Centre is in Southwick which is 32 miles away. I go there once a week on Friday. If I lived nearer I would go twice a week. I do not have children to worry about so it must be difficult for young mothers. It depends on their agese I suppose. I have seen some mothers bring their children to the centre but they were not babes. I hope you have seen the other postings I have made about the centres and HBOT. One of our members is a woman in Surrey. She does not have children but she does have a farm full of sheep. Why not take a trip to the centre nearest you to see if they can help in any way?

By the way is it possible to make the fonts larger when replying in these boxes?

Regards

Christopher

rhymenocerous
3 years ago

Hi @xristov11, I know you have posted several times before about HBOT, and I am interested in learning about it, as with other alternative therapies. However, you have mentioned before there are proven outcomes of this treatment, but have not yet supplied any research to back it up – could you provide this, as it is quite an expensive management therapy and takes time and energy out for many people who are fatigued already, so, as I am sure will understand, it would be good to have some proof / research papers to read.

Many Thanks

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.