artegers 04/04/18
Last reply 3 months ago
Hello

I’m Matt. I’m 25 years old and I was diagnosed with RRMS, yesterday.
. Still a bit overwhelmed by the whole thing and don’t understand what this will mean for me in the future. i found this chat service on google, thought it’d be nice to talk to other people who know more about this then I do. Anyway, nice to meet you guys 🙂

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

grandma
3 months ago

Hi Matt, you must have so many questions, we are all quite safe, knowledgable even amusing at times, you can question, rant, cry, celebrate, moan all the above, there’s. nothing we have’ nt done before ourselves. First of all you need to sit back, take a deep breath and relax, nothing worse for ms than stress. If you are like most if us it will almost be a relief to find out it’s a real disease not you mind playing tricks with all the weird things that have been happening to you. MS is no longer the life sentence it used to be. Life can be very normal so don’t worry too much. When you have a specific question ask away, we may not always know the answer, “but we know a ban that does”😍

stumbler
3 months ago

Hi @artegers and welcome.

A diagnosis of MS can be overwhelming and a major shock to the system. So, as @grandma says, just sit back and just unwind.

The following is an introductory booklet about MS. So, have a read of it and then sleep on the contents.

https://support.mstrust.org.uk/file/store-pdfs/Making-Sense-of-MS-Booklet-WEB.pdf

MS is no longer the life sentence that it used to be. There are now many medical offerings which can hopefully make your MS just an inconvenience and minor irritation.

Just don’t wildly Google the subject. Stick with creditable websites, like the MS Trust and MS Society. Or ask any questions you may have here. 😉

vixen
3 months ago

Hello @artegers, I’m sorry for the shock you have just had, something that will resonate with everyone on Shift, I’m sure. There are quite a few people on here around your age group and younger. You will need to allow yourself some processing time so try not to make any rash or rushed decisions at this stage. Are you working, and have you been offered DMTs? There is a useful search button on top left to look at other posts on specific topics but don’t overload yourself as it can be quite overwhelming. All the best, you have lots of support here x

paulmorrison
3 months ago

@artegers hi Matt, don’t worry I think we all feel abit overwhelmed on being diagnosed with MS. Unfortunately it doesn’t come with a handbook and even the neurologists don’t fully understand it, but I found this site to be really helpful for feed back and advice.

ruggermad
3 months ago

Welcome @artegers

So you got MS? My advice to you is live your life the way you want to live it…………don’t let the label of MS hold you back. You are still the same person you were pre diagnosis, REMEMBER THAT. You have to own this $hit!

Strut your stuff, carry on kicking some ass………….as already said MS isn’t a life sentance anymore. For me it was more of a wake up call to appreciate your life and everything around you and learn how to live and adapt with MS. It isn’t going to be particularly easy, but nothing in life is. You get out what you put in.

You are young with your life ahead of you, go travel, fall in love, buy a house, have kids, party hard………..your dreams are still a reality………go for it.

Never ever give up……

studentandms
3 months ago

Hi Matt, I’m 22 and was diagnosed at the beginning of Feb so I can appreciate some of the things that might be going on.
RRMS isn’t something that we planned for ourselves in life but there is no reason why we can’t live a fulfilling life and achieve all that we want to. We might just have to make small modifications.
Be kind to yourself, ask questions, use shift ms and ms trust for info and let close friends and family know who can support you. Feel sad about it, acknowledge that it’s rubbish, get angry, cry and then get ready to beat MS. You’re doing great!
All the best
Louise

artegers
3 months ago

Thank you everyone for all the support! It means a lot to me. I’ve actually had to quit my job to put more of my time into doctor visits, etc. So that sucks, I’m now looking into finding another job currently. I start my first round of treatment in June. My neuro wants me to take something called Octavus? Once it gets approved by my insurance that is.

antonettefick
3 months ago

Hi Matt… This site will be your go-to for the next year… Google doesn’t always help,and in my case, it scared me more… Ask here, we will answer truthfully even though none of us have the same symptoms..

You will have to get to know your body now, how late you can stay awake, what you can eat and do and all those things..

Don’t be scared because this is new and you are young..

Just ask when you feel the need… Good luck

novemberrain
3 months ago

I see you’re in Atlanta. I had a work visit to some labs at the CDC some time ago. Beautiful Springtime! All the best to you @artegers

aliga
3 months ago

Hi @ artegers and welcome! Receiving the diagnosis can be a shock, even if you’ve long suspected that it’s behind the weird things that have been happening to you. For me, one of the most difficult lessons that I’ve had to learn has been to listen to my body and then act accordingly ie its important to rest when the fatigue catches up, rather than fight on through it. My natural instinct would be to keep going, but I’ve suffered for it. As the others have said, take time to process your diagnosis and then keep on living life. It’s not the sentence that it once was and you’ll learn to make the adjustments needed. Take care of yourself and ask any questions here rather than from Dr. Google. There is a wealth of experience on here from a great bunch of supportive people who will answer what they can for you.
All the best
Ali

lara279
3 months ago

Hey @artegers – nice to ‘meet’ you! I was diagnosed last November, age 33 – it was a big shock to me as I only had one relapse and I was diagnosed days after the symptoms started. Take some time to get your head around everything but these are my main takeaways –
1 – RRMS is not the disease it used to be, there are lots of very effective treatments available and more being developed.
2. Hopefully nothing needs to change but if it does, that’s ok too – life doesn’t need to be exactly as you imagined in order to be full of happiness.
3. It could be worse – you could be suffering from a terminal disease. I know that might sound dramatic but I found myself feeling very grateful.
4. Educate yourself – I would put a caveat on this one; when you are ready. Don’t start getting into the nitty gritty of the disease until you have steadied yourself. Some of the things you read can be upsetting. Make sure you are feeling strong enough before you dive in.
5. This is a personal decision but I told everyone that asked me ‘where I had been?’ when I was initially diagnosed and not when people ask me what i am doing in the summer I say ‘I don’t know’ and I go on to tell them I am being treated for MS in May (I am having Lemtrada) and I don’t know how I will feel for a while after. I know this might not be right for everyone but I felt that hiding it added an extra layer of negativity that I didn’t need. Plus, people are so nice it’s great to have their support.
6. Take care of yourself – eat well, sleep well (and in a regular pattern), keep the alcohol intake down etc. Basically do all the things we all know we should be doing anyway but it’s even more important for you now.
7. Take vitamin d supplement – vitamin d deficiency is one of the few things that people agree can contribute to MS. I take 4000ui a day.
Good luck and let us know how you get on in the coming weeks and months.
xx

potter
3 months ago

Matt it sounds like you are getting a good start, especially with your treatment. I am in Kansas and have trouble getting my insurance to cover DMT’s. I wasn’t diagnosed until I was 55 but has symptoms as long as I could remember. I am 65 now and still walking, I have had only one relapse since I was diagnosed. I think I was doing to much taking care of my elderly mother in-law. I am still walking and living my life. I hope you get your treatment approval. Potter

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.