Last reply 1 year ago
Have you given up alcohol?

I’ve never been a big drinker but I did like the odd G&T but I have decided to not drink at all anymore. My MS neuro said it’s ok in moderation but I have experimented a little on the night I take my drug (Plegridy) – bad planning I know as I take it on a Friday night before I go to bed; I definitely don’t suffer as much if I drink plenty of water instead. What’s been your experience?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

mrratcatcher
1 year ago

I don’t drink alcohol – never did much even when I was healthy. Now alcohol just makes me feel worse so I avoid it.

dmarucci
1 year ago

funny alcohol for me – sometimes it actually helps me where im not thinking to hard about getting from A to B
on the other hand
It can sometimes make all symtoms exaggerate badly

Giving it up sounds logic but it all depends on your body and how you feel.

doubleo7hud
1 year ago

Kids killed off the drinking for me he he bless em and smoking I stopped in stoptober and had a my first “relapse” just before chrimbo so don’t think it would of made the difference if I still did both lol do feel healthyer just not as mobile 😂

potter
1 year ago

I am not much of a drinker a glass of wine or a beer is about all I can manage. When I was taking Rebif wine didn’t taste good, now that I am on Tec it is good again. I had a funny thing happen with the Rebif, it was New Years Eve and nasty weather so we stayed home. My husband had just given me a shot when the doorbell rang, the neighbor in the rental next door was inviting us over to his party. When I walked in someone poured me a glass of wine, I drank about half of it when it hit me. Everyone at the party thought I was drunk, so I am cautious about timing on DMT’s and alcohol. Potter

redrighthand
1 year ago

I’ve found in the past couple of years that drinking makes me feel terribly depressed the next day. I’m not hungover — I may have only had three or four drinks and so I’m mellowed rather than drunk. Not sure if this could be MS-related.

I was diagnosed in October and have been suffering detachment since then, so the idea of taking any kind of mind-altering substance doesn’t seem appealing right now. I might consider occasional drinking when (if?!) that fades away. Also, I’m starting Tecfidera this week and I don’t know how I’ll react to that; teetotal or otherwise. I haven’t been a big drinker since my early 20s. The only part of alcohol that I’d really miss is the social element.

There is some research that suggests small amounts of alcohol may be beneficial for MS but the studies aren’t by any means conclusive. It certainly doesn’t mean anything for people who find that their symptoms are exacerbated after only one drink.

vicy
1 year ago

I’ve never been much of a drinker, about 2 1/2 pints of cider is my limit. I find it makes my balance even worse than it normally is, also my manual dexterity, sorting clothes out after going to the loo is a challenge. The only thing that alcohol helps is my sex drive! Which is sometimes useful!

kevanf
1 year ago

I dont drink very much any more but I do still drink, had 2 small glasses of Port last night cant remember which week I had drank before that. Im lucky it doesnt cause me any problems. If I drink too much it emphasises my balance loss quite well but no side effects.

ocyam
1 year ago

I hardly ever drink anymore either.. I used to drink when I was much younger, but not anymore.. Only a few mouthfull makes me feel strange,,,and it is just not worth it. If I miss the taste of wine or beer, I just have a non-alcohol one 😉
Sadly, there is not much understanding for me not wanting to drink.. People think I am weird 🙁

potter
1 year ago

Ocyam Just tell them that your medication makes it taste funny. When I was taking Rebif wine tasted bad. Potter

knotty
1 year ago

@potter – you’re sure it was not the quality of the wine you were drinking LOL.
Agreed though, sadly there is a stigma re not drinking -especially at Christmas and other special occasions. People thought I was a bit of a party pooper as I don’t like to tell everyone about my condition. No complaints however when I was able to offer them all a lift home!!

addick
1 year ago

Don’t drink anymore. Even just half a pint set my nerves on fire (back and neck). Since stopping these pains stopped.

Not sure if it’s the ms or the drugs I take that cause the problem.

doubleo7hud
1 year ago

I’m fecking daft enough with out the drink 🍹 🍻 even dafter with it there’s a pub straight across the road from me too. But as they say don’t excriment on yer own doorstep he he

isaacson72
1 year ago

I never drank much anyway (I’m purposely forgetting my early 20s….) but it doesn’t affect my MS when I do. I’ll have 1 beer or 1 g&t from time to time, or a shot of Bailey’s in a mocha if it’s a special occasion (like when I have to face my mother in-law). The only downside is if I drink it after 6-7pm, I will pay for it in the number of times I have to pee before I sleep. FAR MORE than the average person. So it’s not really worth it to me. Unless my mother in law is coming over. 🙂

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.