makkymee 22/03/15
Last reply 2 years ago
Has MS had a positive affect at all?

Hi All,

Maybe a pretty bizarre question but thought I’d ask if MS has had a positive affect on your life??

I know MS is a horror but since I was diagnosed I’ve found that I’ve been a bit braver and decided to grab my ambition with both hands. For many years I’ve been writing poetry and Lyrics but only for me to read. Last year I decided to get the help to bring my lyrics to life. I then went on to submit the song to a competition. I’m still waiting to hear I’ve won (pleeeeeease) but since my diagnosis, I’m braver and pushing myself more.

I just wondered if anyone else has done something that maybe they wouldn’t have prior to their diagnosis??

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

3 years ago

Yes it has. I used to worry about what people thought of me, now I dont. I used to think work was important, now I dont. I saw a long eared owl in the tree at the back of my garden in the dusk this evening and it was fantastic. Having Ms has stopped me worrying about most of the stupid shit that used to eat me up. We all only have a finite amount of time, but most people don’t know it. I do and that is something very precious that has come out of this.

3 years ago

Hello Makki. Thanks for sharing your experience. The only positive thing of MS I can notice in me is that I stopped being ‘arrogant’ but instead I take things easy.

3 years ago

3 years ago

I spend a lot more money on myself, on the principle that having MS IS the rainy day.

3 years ago

Hi @makkymee, that sounds brilliant- fingers crossed! Shift have been exploring this idea recently too- check out the ‘MS energy’ tab to read other peoples’ stories of how they have found positives out of a negative- I often pop on for ten minutes in my lunch break for some inspiration 🙂

3 years ago

Yes. Not a bizarre question at all. I’ve re-evaluated a little. I’ve realised I spent a lot of time worrying about unimportant things, and I’m trying to be more ‘in the moment’ – since now is all that really exists anyway. I have a better work/life balance. Life still has its ups and downs of course…..

2 years ago

Do you know the ‘Spoon’s Story’? Basically that you have a finite amount of energy per day/per week and you better spend it wisely- and you cant borrow from other days.

if you ‘push it’ MS will make you pay.

So like many others- I have become very discriminatory in what activities and people ‘rate’ my time. I dont tell them this- but I have to chose between activities- I simply cant do them all- so there are ‘winners and loser’ among the activities I chose to do.

Last year, after treatment with Lemtrada, I started to get function and activity back- i have less fatigue and I move much better.

You would think this might cause me to include more ‘things’ but each bit of energy and ability is so precious- so have it back now- that I might be more discriminatory than ever!

I think this is a good thing overall- I definitely enjoy life more, doing what is most important to me- prioritizing.

2 years ago

Thanks so much for the stories, recommendtions and the inspiration. It helps to read people’s thoughts and actions. I went the gym today for the first time in months after reading about the runners so thanks all for helping to push me in the right direction.

I’ve never heard of the spoon story but will def start practicing & thanks for the MS Energy pointer, I’ll check it out.

I just want to say that my diagnosis was a huge shock & it did take me to come to terms with it. Through time, encoraging words and reading Montel Williams book, I knew I had to change me.

Thanks all

Also, just

2 years ago

@tabbycat While I don’t see it as a positive at all (I hate MS and the whole I have it but it will never have me stuff) I can relate to what you say. I no longer sweat the small stuff and I’m a lot bolder and more confident in many ways 🙂

2 years ago

Yes I’m more positive, I haven’t stopped painting and I paint to donate a percentage to MS. I have been painting since I was little. I think of MS ( it was given to me for a reason)

2 years ago

Love your fishermen on donkeys @anawith1n

2 years ago

I positively know that my life will never be the same as it was 4yrs ago. I’m positive it’s getting worse every year. And I’m positive that I will keep doing as much as I can while I can.

2 years ago

I have found a positive, I have changed my diet completely and have slimmed down and gained loads of energy! I can’t remember feeling this healthy. I am also going to start yoga and a boot camp next week. And I don’t let things stress me out, sometimes I feel like I am away with the fairies walking around in a daze but in a strange way it relaxes me and I soon snap out of it. I also allow more time for myself, even just having a nice hot drink and 30mins of some trashy tv program before I pick the children up from school makes me feel relaxed 🙂

2 years ago

Before I was diagnosed I used to ride motorcycles far too fast after the diagnosis I thought I had better get a get a car licence before it became too difficult so the positive was it made me get off my bum and get a car licence

2 years ago

Yes it learned me to slow down I always 100 miles an hour sort of person now I’m slow like a slug

2 years ago

Physically and mentally great

2 years ago

My biggest positive is,
when I’m walking with my stick most people get out of my way or cars slow down to let me cross the road.

A bit selfish of me I spose but I think we all deserve little moments.

2 years ago

Positives …. yes only 1 but an all encompassing one.

My attitude, beliefs, plans and everything I was doing before diagnosis were still the same after diagnosis. But, as it happens, all of those things about me are outside of the mainstream, against the grain, not ‘normal’. I actually want life and freedom and I don’t believe 40 hour, 5 day working weeks are a good thing or ‘normal’ or that putting your 6 month old in childcare so you can go back to work because between you and your partner you still can’t afford not to, that isn’t ‘normal’. Neither is working that job for those hours for 30 years just to pay for the building that you sleep in, with just enough left over to afford the bus ticket to get back to work again, that’s not ‘normal’.

After I was diagnosed my dad and more than half my family with him (because of him) disowned me. I haven’t spoken a word to any of them in over a year at least. The reason why is one of the first things he said to me about it was “I can’t even see that there’s anything wrong with you?” Following that we had a conversation in which he was telling me that what I needed to be doing now was ignoring that I have MS completely, act like it doesn’t exist, get on with exactly what I was doing before, plan to live like I am going to make it to be 120, and thats it. I said to him, you can’t be serious? I already despised what’s ‘normal’ and did everything I could to resist it, as I have done practically my whole life and that I don’t care what other people think or what they think they know, I don’t care about compliance or conformity, those things might be wise in specific single moments in life, for your benefit, but generally those things are weaknesses in my eyes and are indicative of ‘sheep’ mentality. I said to him now is not the time to pretend like my life is just going to just carry on like nothing has happened, now is the time to galvanise my already concrete opinions and beliefs about this life of ours (as individuals) and now was the time more than any other where I have full license to be me in every which way without exception. Now is the time to live like I am going to die tomorrow and do whatever the f*** I want, when I want, how I want, with who i want any f****** which way I want. And I said “look me in the eye, you’d be foolish to think to try and prevent or stop me from doing otherwise”. The summary wrap up of that was “Don’t come back here, you’re not welcome, no one here wants to see you anyway.” ***** ***** *****! That’s what he is. Even my brother, who wasn’t around to see or hear or know about any of this, I just haven’t heard from him now since? I assume he had a conversation with my dad and now I don’t exist?

So where is the positive you ask? It’s right there I already said it. I felt it before, I lived and worked towards it but now I just am it. Nobody ever gets to tell me what to do or how to live and think and feel, EVER AGAIN! Not a doctor, not my dad, not society, not anything in this world but my own morals and conscience. So lucky my morals and conscience are good and sound isn’t it. MS made me truly free.

2 years ago

Yes I realise the things I used to worry about or stress over I don’t anymore.i think about myself more, eg. My diet, fatigue try to work out and learn myself when to rest and slow down. Relax more, and feel positive as much as I can for me and my daughters 🙂

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.