jennyo 27/03/18
Last reply 3 months ago
Gut health!

Well I just wanted to relay, what most of us probably already know, is the importance of gut health and your immune system. I’ve been recently digging into it more and doing a bit of research. I can’t express the importance of an awesome diet. I have had ms since 1992ish and have been able to keep myself well( for the most part) flare ups and all. Mostly not on meds due to side effects that were just not tolerable. Is it luck or because since my diagnosis I’ve read and researched everything and I guess lucky for me to actually enjoy healthy foods, which I know is not the easiest for everyone. I eat the hunter gatherer diet. Anything from Mother Nature, Whole Foods and now due to a few issues that I have been dealing with trying to cut out gluten and dairy. I have learned MS is not a disease persay rather it is a symptom of something that is wrong in your own bodily system. Why would a body attack its own self? Hmmmm. I guess that is the question but recently learning more about gut health it has become my obsession. It makes complete sense!! Our processed, gmo, chemical filled foods are killing us. Think about it and if you have sometime do some research!! It is definitely not an easy thing to do, cutting out sugars bread and anything that was not made in the wholeness of nature but to feel better from ms. DEFINITELY!! Sending good vibes to everyone!!

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

rachaellouise
3 months ago

@jennyo – I feel you sister !totally get it… maybe call me a bit obsessed …. I’ve been obsessed since my diagnosis last year.
It’s reasuuring to know that from you who has lived with it for so long that my efforts are not in vain to control this awful thing and my body and mind breaking down from it. Not just nutrition but with lifestyle.
I follow Dr Wahls protocol and that is a ancestor based paleo diet, she comes at it from hunter gatherer too.
This question of why has this happened to my body? It hasn’t just happened it’s come from somewhere and theirs got to be a reason for it … I’m obviously out of balance. I don’t believe it’s just genetic so have to accept it .. genes may play a role in how they are expressed “gene expression” but just like they can be turned on they also must be able to switch off too if we can find reasons for the Imbalances in our body and a body doesn’t just go haywire without a reason for it. Yes they give things a label like MS but look at many diseases they all have one thing in common “INFLAMMATION “

I don’t just accept this has happened and that’s it for me!

🙏😂

jennyo
3 months ago

Well so nice to hear that someone gets it!! It’s not a sit-down and accept it kind of ailment. My sister in law had said to me once “your body just doesn’t want it” and I said “No, I don’t want it!!” YES INFLAMMATION!! I eat to rid of it!! I truly believe it makes a difference. I was very A typical. Always on the go, never stopped and had to completely readjust my life. Not easy when your young. But I’ve learned over the years to de stress, let it go, and let it roll off my shoulders. Of course the times I hadn’t I would end up with some flare up so stress is huge too. ELIMINATE IT AT ALL COSTS!! Keep up the learning and positive attitude!! There’s more to it then what your neuro has to say!

rachaellouise
3 months ago

@jennyo

Thank you very much!
What is your diet and lifestyle like now?
I am learning, there will always be something to learn ,
I am positive towards it . .. hopefully light at the end of the tunnel… get lost to inflammation ! Two fingers up at it lol.

Have you ever looked at stem cells too? Or do you live very well with ms thy you’d never need to consider it.

Yes before my health was failing before ms . I got a severe infection which I think triggered it but my lifestyle was so bad and so was my diet , overweight , stress, never stopped, many things you know.
I’m adjusting to all this now but I think it takes time to heal and adapt to new ways. I try to meditate but am adapting with time.

Rachael c

jennyo
3 months ago

Well the crazy thing is through the years I’ve kept a very normal life, minus any flare ups. I had always been able to bounce back from them. I have had many flare ups some very bad but always regained normalcy. Well ok I say normal. Normal to me was doing everything that I had before although as I say that my biggest problem was fatigue. That I couldn’t ever seem to kick. I would always say it was like a wall in front of me that I just couldn’t walk through. I have two teenagers now,so yeah life is busy. 2016 I was accepted into a radiography program. Unfortunately I had a little too much on my plate at the time and with the ms ended up withdrawing from the radiography program. Was in a funk over it so said hey I’ll learn real estate. Lol you can see I always keep going. Probably too much. I, last year was very stressed prior to the time of the real estate class. And just noticed when I was walking my foot felt funny so since last year I’ve been kind of dealing with that. I had tried a med cladribine. I still sometimes wonder was that a good idea but no way to know I guess of course I blame the med for me not bouncing completely back yet not my brain.LOL but I’m ok just have weakness in my left leg/foot which after going to physical therapy they thought it was my back. Sciatic. Still actually not sure. But anyway back to your actual question I was busy busy busy. And I always try to maintain a healthy diet. I’ve gotten very strict again!! No bread, no sugar, now I’m getting off gluten and dairy. I eat a lot of fish, salmon, olive oil, coconut oil, nuts, flax, smoothies every morning, oh and lots and lots of blueberries I’ve heard they are the wonder food from Everyone. Plus I love them🙂 I do take supplements of course for inflammation and anything that could possibly help with nerve regeneration omegas, B complex, C, turmeric oh and D. I take a lot of D. Huge in ms patients. They say mercury is high in ms patients so I’ve had some fillings removed. Still working on them. Oiy I could just go on and on😬well if I think of anything else I will definitely keep you posted!! Chemicals too are NO NO’s. Messes with cell regeneration due to free radicals. So even that. I clean with vinegar and baking soda. Still need bleach of course for things but wear gloves. Do everything you can to keep the chemicals away. Go natural in your products. Lotions soaps, deodorants, everything!! Well sorry to be so long winded but this has been my life for over 20 years and yeah I guess it’s become who I am. And have never really talked to people with ms that kind of get what your dealing with. So Glad to have become friends!! Well keep chatting!! 🙂

briant
3 months ago

Hi what about meat I’m a big meat eater but I know my diet is very bad but what sort of foods would you recommend. I like cake 😊🍰

rachaellouise
3 months ago

@briant – you might like cake but does your body and mind like it !?
You can still have your cake just have to find a way tohave it the “healthy” way!
Coconut flours, cassava flour and so forth .
With cake though not everyday too ! Moderation is key !
Look it up do research and have a go at cakes! Baking etc! Also I would say do your own research , pick a dietary protcol and stick with that !
Changing lifestyle and diet becomes part of your new life and that’s it , takes time to adapt but it just becomes part of you. I am hoping for much needed healing . I know that healing , better living , better life takes time and commitment, hard work !
No magic pills or quick fixes but much is life isn’t it? Nothing worth having ever comes easy or quick it all requires effort.

@jennyo

Hi Jenny – fantastic account . Yes stress and anxiety can trigger symptoms to flare up, but I guess we shouldn’t give up in what we want to do. I just think have to find another way… your account sounds great.

I am slowly working my way through introducing new things. Takes time.
Already introduced quite a lot . Learning a lot.
I think from what I’m finding out a big part of the mind and how we think . Our thoughts create our life.
I am trying to figure out what I need for this you know to stay positive as much as I can , it’s really hard at times!
What do you do?

Yes I’m glad we are friends and look forward to chatting more with you.
Where are you based? Feel free to message me in my inbox whenever you fancy a chat

Rachael x

novemberrain
3 months ago

I understand the need to gain some control, I seriously do. If you feel better doing all that then I’m happy for you Also though, eating weird and wonderful foods requires some finance, it may be out of reach for some. Good luck with it!

novemberrain
3 months ago

And eat cake!

rachaellouise
3 months ago

@novemeberrain

I don’t think things are as expensive as you think! I batch cook a lot of foods ! I don’t eat takeaways a saving their, I don’t go out for meals .i don’t drink, smoke etc There’s so many savings that could be put into wholesome foods that you can batch cook etc.
This way of eating also means you don’t need the “huge” portions that we have been led to believe
Also intermittent fasting is good for MS

rachaellouise
3 months ago

novemberrain
3 months ago

Batch cook fresh fruit and veg? OK. I am not keen on “led to believe” re huge portions. If you’re hungry, eat. Show me the science/evidence (from a dietician, not a nutritionist) and I might be swung. All the best 😚

novemberrain
3 months ago

My best friend is a nutritionist btw! She would kill me by quinoa haha

rachaellouise
3 months ago

@novemberrain

anyway all the best to you to! What sort of diet are you on then if your friends a nutritionist ?
Is it helping you?

Rachael

novemberrain
3 months ago

A “normal”diet. Healthyish although there are some M&S hot cross buns I’m gonna eat with a latte (cows milk) with brown sugar later. I love pizza. My friend has tried and failed! I would love to start a poll to see if diet has reduced relapses. I have had benign MS for 20 years. Havent changed anything otherwise. I do feel fortunate. Genetically blessed I reckon.

novemberrain
3 months ago

I’m more of an exercise person than a diet one tbh @rachaellouise

rachaellouise
3 months ago

@novemberrain
A poll wouldn’t do it just like that. You would have to be on a protcol for a substantial amount of time to assess its efficiency .
Hence why the clinical trial Dr Wahls is doing will take 5 long years of adhering to nutrition and lifestyle changes.
I am going to do her online trial as I don’t live in Iowa . It will be 5 years…. I feel it’s important
There is far more than just nutrition and supplements it’s getting your body back in balance . Took years to get it here so I believe it will take years to get it into a better state to live well with MS hopefully, that’s my way of thinking anyway .

novemberrain
3 months ago

Yes I agree about the poll. It’s very difficult to draw conclusions regarding efficacy from diet and nutrition but if it makes you feel good mentally and physically it has to be worth a shot. And if you feel in yourself it’s helping that’s great. I hope it proves successful😊

rachaellouise
3 months ago

@novemberrain

Thanks I hope so too! Hope it helps my overall health

Take care of yourself

Rachael x

salvador
3 months ago

Interesting stuff @jennyo and I agree with all your sentiments. I’ve been following a pretty strict OMS diet since Christmas (wholefoods, fruit & veg, fish, hemp oil, turmeric, vit D, no dairy or red meat, supplemented with a bit of turkey) and I feel 100% better with much reduced fatigue and improved mood. I’ve shed 18lbs too and now average 1lb per week loss.
It all makes sense to me – we need to give the body every chance to reverse its habit of digesting itself. I need to step up the exercise now, which is my next phase of recovery.

Best of luck everyone 😀

makkymee
3 months ago

Thanks for the post @jennyo
I changed my diet and try to eat as wholesome as I can although I do give into temptation occasionally 😳😳.
I’ll carry on trying to be good
Makky

jennyo
3 months ago

Well I thought I would leave some comments on my omg week of trying new things. I decided to try kombucha( a probiotic drink) thinking it would be a good gut healing product. But oh my NO! It made my stomach feel like a balloon. And messed me up for days. Also then the more I read about it the worse it sounded. Then in my quest to go dairy free I decided to try almond milk. I’ll have to say it made me very gassy and the more I’m reading about the almond milk the more I’m convinced it’s not ultimately a better choice. My issue is coffee. I enjoy coffee and thought oh I’ll switch from Lactaid to almond milk. The issue seems to be the ingredients some are not as CLEAN in a sense, such as gellan or xantham gum( a thickener). I prefer natural and clean. And have learned there are natural foods that promote gut health. Such as sauerkraut. Once other ingredients are added I don’t suspect it’s the best choice. In my quest to improve my gut health I may have made it worse. Does anyone have any thoughts on this subject?? I would love any input!! 🙂

dekkor
3 months ago

I can’t speak for kombucha (that sounds painful!) but I know that not all almond milks are created equal. Some have a lot of additives but you should be able to find some that are just almonds and water. These typically have to be refrigerated and have a best before date. I’m following the OMS diet so have also switched away from dairy products and thankfully haven’t had any problems with substituting almond mile

jennyo
3 months ago

Thank you!! Yes I will definitely do some searching on almond and coconut milks. 👍I hadn’t done my homework the way that I should have😬

rachaellouise
3 months ago

@jennyo

Don’t be hard on yourself!
I have coconut milk but not the ones with all the fillers and binders
I also only have about 1 cup a day as too much can cause digestive distress .
Coconut oil is fine but not necessarily in tea as milk but in bone broth a teaspoon or ghee
If your oms it’s low saturated fats but the fats I have are good fats so that shouldn’t apply really.

I don’t have kombucha as similar issues at the moment with the gut but do have sauerkraut and coconut kefir shots .
I don’t have other gut ones as a lot are grain based and I don’t eat grains …

Hope your well Jenny

Xx

jennyo
3 months ago

Thanks!! Yes I was determined to cut dairy for the inflammation factor. I found coconut milk from Trader Joe’s that is just coconut and water. No fillers. I’ll have to try it as I said it’s literally for my coffee. So funny. It makes me happy lol. I do not use or like milk for any other reason.

jennyo
3 months ago

Oh do you make the coconut kefir?

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.