Last reply 10 months ago
Gilenya and weight gain

Has anyone gained weight while taking Gilenya? I have been on it for 12 months and have gained 10kg.
I am not sure if it is the drugs or two new babies (yes 2 in the last 12 months hurrah for Irish twins).
I am on the OMS vegan diet which I thought would lower my calorie intake and I cycle 25km every weekday 40km on the weekends, yet the scales keep going up.
I was “slim” to start with but there is now a whole lot of love in my love handles (my wife actually likes it).

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
10 months ago

@cammo , this report might interest you :-

https://www.ehealthme.com/ds/gilenya/weight-gain/

10 Kg may not be a huge problem if you’re still in the healthy range of the Body Mass Index (BMI). And, if your wife likes the “new you”, then I’d accept that as a bonus.

With two new babies, you can’t be running short of exercise!

arknat
10 months ago

Hi @cammo,

Been on Gilenya last 2 years. I did not see any weight gain … maybe slightly. But that’s mainly because I’m unable to keep up the running I used to do before.

Of course may not be applicable to you but stress could weight gain as well. There could be a whole lot of things causing the gain other than Gilenya in my opinion.

mmhhpp
10 months ago

No i did not xx

cammo
10 months ago

@stumbler thanks for the link.
I am still in the healthy BMI range (just).
I think my wife likes the new me as it makes her feel less guilty about her weight after the two babies.
Maybe you are right, it may be muscle from carrying a 15kg toddler all day. Either that or helping the kids finish their dinners (I don’t like to see food go to waste).
Anyway. I will keep track of it. I was just alarmed as I have always been a certain weight since I was in my early 20s. It didn’t matter what or how much I ate. The scales were always pretty much the same. Maybe it is just my middle aged dad bod revealing itself. I guess my metabolism had to slow down at some stage.

poppy12
10 months ago

@cammo – sounds like you’re quite literally rocking a dad bod now. Or/and you’ve been co-pregnant (Couvade syndrome) 😀

Whatever it is, embrace your body for what it can do rather than what it looks like. Life is too short + your wife liking your weight gain is a bonus (btw. I can relate to the idea of being glad if one’s SO gains weight when you’re struggling with your own).

poppy

cammo
10 months ago

@poppy12 thanks for the advice. It is more wobbling than rocking 🙂

Anonymous
10 months ago

@cammo when i was first diagnosed with MS I tried a lot of soya products and went dairy free and meat free products and the weight fell off me big time all over very quickly, but now I dont really care too much and just have anything at all ,but at that time it also improved my fitness and pain but only for a couple of months then I had relapse and gave up on it all lol 🤩🚴🏻‍♀️🤩🚴🏻‍♀️

cammo
10 months ago

@ms-man yeah I am on the no dairy/meat/exercise OMS bandwagon but the weight is falling on not off. It defies logic and proves to be as frustrating as building a well endowed snowman in a rain storm.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.