Last reply 1 month ago
Gait analysis

Hi everyone,

I’m arranging an appointment with a neurological physiotherapist. I’ve noticed small changes in gait and walking, which I’d like to work on now taking a preventative approach.

Can I check whether anyone has advice or experience in relation to the benefit of gait measures taken on a treadmill vs observational/videoing?

The physiotherapist I’m seeing offers the latter but has flagged where I can have some treadmill measures taken. I have hypermobile joints and one leg is a little longer than the other; I’m wondering whether treadmill analysis will be more precise and therefore beneficial. But it’s a hassle to organise separately.

If you’ve had neuro physiotherapy, did you have treadmill measures taken? If so, what value, if any, do you think it added to your physiotherapy plan compared to not having treadmill measures?

@cameron, I’d really welcome your thoughts as you previously provided extremely helpful insight on the benefits of early neurological physiotherapy.

Thanks

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the โ€˜xโ€™.

grandma
1 month ago

Have only just been referred to an NHS neuro physiotherapist. Had ny first meeting a couple of weeks ago and am going for my first actual session in another two weeks so will report back when that has happened๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ“ฏ๐Ÿ˜

cameron
1 month ago

Do you want to PM me? I’ve just had a round of land physio myself and have info which might be helpful. x

beefree
1 month ago

Thanks @grandma, @cameron raised an interesting point previously, which is that the brain can be retrained to form new pathways for the messages that aren’t getting through because of nerve damage. It’s do to with brain plasticity – the brains ability to reorganise itself by forming new connections between brain cells. Younger people’s brains are very plastic. As we age, the brain loses some of its plasticity, but neuroplasticity is still at work to varying degrees throughout life. One of the interesting insights from the wealth of research is that the level of repetition of an activity contributes to making these new connections. The research papers are long but this article covers the need-to-know: https://universityhealthnews.com/daily/memory/neuroplasticity-your-brains-marvelous-ability-to-reengineer-itself/. Might be worth exploring with your physio what exercises could potentially support new alternative pathways, in addition to easing the present impact of symptoms. I don’t know if this is the standard approach for neuro physios, or at the front end of practice, in which case it might be dismissed, but wanted to make you aware. Hope it goes well and looking forward to hearing how you find it.

Thanks also @cameron, I’ll PM you.

doug_graham
1 month ago

I depended on a cane for years. Extreme gait left leg and side. Doctor and insurance approved me for a Bioness L300 gait stimulator. I can walk short distances without much problem. I actually waked a 5K for suicide awareness. No Olympic time but I finished. It’s a blessing. But, extended use, 5K, is physically draining. But worth it. When I take it off after use I’m good for about 3 hours with limited gait. Hope you can get one.

dramaqueen
1 month ago

I use a FES electrical foot stimulator. Its a bit like a tens machine which i place on my lower leg muscles as i have foot drop. I used to swing my leg around to clear the floor. I do not walk outdoors without it. If this could be what you need in box me i sent a friend request.

beefree
1 month ago

Incredible @doug_graham! Yes please @dramaqueen – I’ll drop you a friend request.

Thanks both, for sharing valuable and practical suggestions.

doug_graham
1 month ago

Beefree:

I saw your friend request but declined by accident. Big fingers & bad eyesight. New to shift.ms. I’ll c if I can find u and send you a friend request. I would be thrilled to discuss any issues that you are dealing with. Hope to be your friend
Doug

dramaqueen
1 month ago

Ill try again

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.