Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

There are no categories assigned yet.

stumbler
11 months ago

@paulmorrison , there’s various options from a “foot-up” type nylon splint, through a more expensive SAFO (Silicone Ankle Foot Orthosis) through to Functional electrical stimulation (FES) devices.

Are you able to ask your medical team what they are able to offer, from a Neuro-physio assessment, through to acquisition of something to help you?

paulmorrison
11 months ago

Thanks @stumbler, I live in southern Spain, and although there health care system is really going, there is a chronic shortage of neurologists and absolutely no after care. Thank god for this site. And thank you stumbler for all your help.

noelie
11 months ago

Hi,

Physio gave me a foot splint (boxier) about 8 months ago, they also set me up with a FES (electric stimulation, effective but a bit tricky and time consuming to cable up in the morning). They both help a lot, the effort to walk with foot drop is considerable, and the second the splint was on my foot, it felt like my leg was about to fly away, it felt so light. The headspace freed was also very noticeable and welcome. However it hasn’t resolved my walking issues, because I also have a weak hip flexor. So walking is still very limited to a few hundred metres at best, but improvement none the less.

My own devices are: stiff flat boots in winter, which mimic the foot splint action without having extra set up. And my life saviour is my micro scooter: all the kids have one nowadays, if you have balance and flat pavements, and most of all don’t mind looking like an old teenager (i’m 42), you can give it a go at your own risks ahah. Not the perfect solution either as it creates a big imbalance in the body so be very mindful.

Take care

paulmorrison
11 months ago

Hi noelie.
I have ordered a foot splint, as much as my three kids would love to see me on a micro scooter, I dont think it’s a good idea with my balance.

Take care
Paul.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.