Last reply 6 days ago
fitness & 1/2 marathon

I have always been a fitness person. My MS diagnosis gave me a huge scare. I am in the gym at least 4 days a week and run at least one 2 5k races a month. I am getting ready to tackle my first 1/2 marathon this weekend ( with drs approval of course). Does anyone here work out regulatory or are runners? How do you manage?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

pippa87
1 week ago

I weight train 4-5 days a week with a mix of cardio too and find I feel much better after.
Think it might be physiological after lifting heavy weights as I know I am still strong regardless of my tingling in legs and hands.
I listen to my body and if I feel really fatigued I will skip a session but if I’m
Just feeling lazy I will go!
Exercise is great for my mind and body so I will carry on as usual and if there ever comes a day where I can’t carry out my usual routine I will still go and do the best I can! Good luck with your 1/2!

nata4712
1 week ago

@pippa87
AWESOME!! i feel worse if i dont keep moving. I am guilty of not listening to my body until its too late tho, i must admit. LOL! i try to live as normal of a life as i can . I have MS; it doesnt have me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thanks!

pippa87
1 week ago

@nata4712
Exactly! The more I think about the diagnosis the worse I seem to feel and the more my symptoms flare up, so most of the time I’m like nope, there’s no MS here! Haha! Just enjoy life! 😊

nata4712
1 week ago

Exactly! Keep moving girle!

allinmyhead
1 week ago

I do a military style fitness class 3 times a week. It’s great training outdoors in the local park.
I also used to do Kettlebell classes 2 mornings a week but stopped this recently when we got a puppy.
I used to run once a week too but find that when i get warm i get a “wobbly” head but I’m going to give it another go.
Definitely find it’s good for my mental health.
I’m 5 months post diagnosis.

cammo
1 week ago

@nata4712 I cycle 40km a day… if I don’t ride for a couple of days I feel lazy and horrible. Energy makes energy.

sfrox
1 week ago

I live in a very hilly city and I don’t drive, so most of my exercise happens during walks where there is flat staggered with huge hills. This has worked well for a long time, especially when I used to walk at least a mile to work. Honestly I think it is why my MS has been kind of mild for 20 years. Now that I am at home more due to career changes, and I find I have to take more initiative. I have considered rowing because it looks really fun.

Good for everyone for taking care of yourselves. The DMT helps, but we really do have to do the rest. <3

nata4712
6 days ago

i agree with you all. I feel like crap if i dont workout. You gotta keep moving! blessings to all

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.