Last reply 3 weeks ago
Fire drill

We had one and I got out in time but standing outside in the cold made me need to sit down and there was nowhere to perch in the carpark. So I have made a request for somewhere to sit (the first request I have made). Blue Badge sitting area beckons.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
3 weeks ago

@watsoncraig , when I was working, our Facilities Management (FM) team would “tip the wink” to me that a fire drill was due. Then I could get myself out of the way.

I never left the building, but hung around in the reception area, chatting with the FM guys.

A fire drill is just a procedural box-ticking exercise. In a real life situation, things would be so different, even chaotic.

So, why inconvenience the lesser-abled in these practice sessions?

meg_kingston
3 weeks ago

Great – they’re right to make that accommodation.

The company I used to work for left me in the office during fire drills. The page in the fire instructions that was meant to refer to wheelchair users said, “This page left intentionally blank”. I only worked there for seven years – they didn’t have time to address the issue.

I’m very pleased they’ve done something for you, I just hope everyone else respects your need. Fire drills are a pain for less-able people.

watsoncraig
3 weeks ago

I sit close by an escape (and will be one of the first to shuffle out) but safety still want a meeting to discuss me getting out the building. On the plus side though they are going to put in seating.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.