hollylb10 06/04/15
Last reply 3 years ago
Fingers

I have some sensitivity on my 2 outer fingers on both hands, it has been on and off for a week or so and is worst in the mornings when I wake up or when I am washing up. I take it this is an MS symptoms but is this a new attack? How to you know what is a relapse and what is just symptoms of MS?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
3 years ago

@hollylb10 , here is a decent definition of a relapse :-

http://www.mssociety.org.uk/what-is-ms/types-of-ms/relapsing-remitting-rrms

If you ever have concerns of this nature, your MS Nurse is best placed to give you advice.

if this problem is worst first thing in the morning, and when doing washing up, could it be to do with heat and your hands being hot?

reddivine
3 years ago

Go see the MS nurse. Sounds like neuropathic pain. I can’t feel the fingertips on my right hand.
And without Gabapentin i’d have this pins and needles type pain ALL THE TIME. Which is beyond painful. Oddly heat helps me! i warm a wheatbag in the microwave and wrap hand in it before I can make a cup tea iin the morning

angelbum
3 years ago

We get many pains with ms all in varying degrees intensity . Some painful some annoying some just dam right uncomfotable .

I’m sure you will get many more different symptoms as the years pass . Although not all at same time . Try and distract your thoughts and like @reddvine advised some neuropathic pain medication. Hopefully it will pass soon .

I know with experience That there is many ms symptoms . Many can stay but a lot of symptoms will pass in time and then maybe cone back some months years later.

I think its trying to get things In to perceptive but this is easier said than done when they are unpleasant and scary symptoms we experience we tend to think the worst .

hollylb10
3 years ago

I have noticed that heat does seem to make it worse Stumbler, good excuse not to do the washing up 😉

I would call an MS nurse if I had one 🙁 I have still not had the official diagnosis. As it is bank holiday my neuro has not been around and sometimes I feel like a pest if I tell her every little symptom I have.

stumbler
3 years ago

@hollylb10 , two things. First, never feel that you’re being a pest. If it wasn’t for the situations that us unfortunate people find ourselves in, the Neuros wouldn’t have a job!

And, secondly, record all these strange occurrences in a diary so that you know the date and the symptom and how long it lasted. Information like this is crucial to determining a diagnosis.

thecuriosity
3 years ago

If your neuro has an email, I’d say it’s worth dropping them a note on that, because you’re not a pest, providing them with that information may well help with diagnosis and even if it ends up being irrelevant you can’t discount it yourself without being aware of what you go through with this disease!

I send my MS nurse questions by email a fair bit, and she appreciates that as it means there’s a written account of what I was thinking or feeling with dates and times. It’s good for someone who can have fits of lost memory. 🙂

Hopefully, they can use this info and help get you through this limbo.

hollylb10
3 years ago

So over the bank holiday I called and left a msg for my neuro. Her secretary called back to say she was on holiday until 20th April and as I don’t have an MS nurse to go to my GP!!

stumbler
3 years ago

@hollylb10 , use this website to track down your local MS Nurse and then contact them and explain the situation:-

http://www.mstrust.org.uk/information/services/

Hopefully, given the circumstances, they will help. 😉

tabbycat
3 years ago

loss of feeling in my hands was was what finally led me t seek a diagnosis. At first it was painful, but three years later they have calmed down and apart from trouble with small buttons, it is all manageable.
I have never had recognizable relapses, as there are lots of different manifestations of ms, but hopefully the symptom will fade soon like mine have done and your hands will feel more comfortable.
Good luck.

hollylb10
3 years ago

Is it normal to have a mirror image of symptoms? Both my hands are exactly the same, I have also had strange leg sensations before that was the same on both sides. I always thought ms effected one side at a time? My eye symptom was just one eye, although in general my eyesight in both eyes was not as sharp

hollylb10
3 years ago

Finally got an appointment with the neuro on Monday and will hopefully get results from my recent MRI 🙂

stumbler
3 years ago

Good luck with that, @hollylb10 .

Make sure you have a short concise list of things that have been happening with you, so that you can leave that with them.

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.