Last reply 3 months ago
FES

After some recommendations for FES to help my foot drop as the latest Physio I saw said I would be ideal for one (after examining me in just my under-crackers did SHE say this). Due to the damned postcode lottery they are not available on the NHS in my area so looking around and they can be pricey!

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

There are no categories assigned yet.

vixen
3 months ago

Hello @watsoncraig, my sister has a FES and paid privately for it. It does the trick nicely for her. But then it costs £200 for checks and physio each time. These things are available through NHS but, as you say, it’s a postcode lottery. If you search FES on here, @stumbler once posted a link to all the service providers around (might have been just London area, I can’t remember.) Good luck with your investigations!

stumbler
3 months ago

@watsoncraig , and stumbler’s posting another link, which seems to suggest that NICE have approved FES :-

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ipg278/resources/treating-drop-foot-using-electrical-stimulation-pdf-310962205

The full NICE Guidance is here :-

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ipg278

I don’t know whether this is enough to contest the funding issue……….

dominics
3 months ago

The NICE guidance is a little tricky.

If you go here – https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ipg278/chapter/4-About-this-guidance it says:

“NICE interventional procedure guidance makes recommendations on the safety and efficacy of the procedure. It does not cover whether or not the NHS should fund a procedure. Funding decisions are taken by local NHS bodies after considering the clinical effectiveness of the procedure and whether it represents value for money for the NHS.”

So they are remarking on the safety and efficacy alone yet having deemed it thus they then say that the provision (or not) is down to the ‘local NHS bodies’.

But then the Golden Phrase is uttered here:

“Implementation of this guidance is the responsibility of local commissioners and/or providers. Commissioners and providers are reminded that it is their responsibility to implement the guidance, in their local context, in light of their duties to avoid unlawful discrimination and to have regard to promoting equality of opportunity. Nothing in this guidance should be interpreted in a way which would be inconsistent with compliance with those duties.”

As I am sure they wish to avoid accusations of unlawful discrimination and failing to promote equality of opportunity then I am sure your local bodies would be delighted to fund it!

I would take this NICE guidance to the person telling you that it isn’t funded in your area (no such thing as a postcode lottery in England when NICE approves something) and ask them to help you understand why it isn’t available to you.

Good luck. Illegitmi non carborundum.

rea
3 months ago

Hi @watsoncraig, perseverance is key here. My FES funding application was initially rejected but I appealed , was accepted ,and several at my local hospital have been successful after me.
Get your physio, neuro & GP involved. My FES physio dealt with everything. It does depend on the local health authority; some are more forward thinking than others.
Supplies are ordered via my GP surgery where a brilliant practice manager makes it all really easy. He’d never heard of FES & made it his mission to find out everything.
The MS society have guidance on their website on appealing if your CCG are particularly stubborn. You should not have to pay for this.
Keep going , it’s so worth it.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.