Last reply 6 months ago
Feeling lost

Is all this anxiety Part of MS I get very short tempered lose concentration can’t stand big crowds I don’t know what’s going on with myself

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

edmontonalberta
6 months ago

@linda1983

“very short tempered lose concentration can’t stand big crowds”…

You just described me – I have been this way my complete life. Is this a bad thing?

linda1983
6 months ago

It is for my job I work in homecare in the last few months I’m getting real bad and for get everything it’s frustrating

linda1983
6 months ago

Can’t even figure out myself right now I don’t know if it’s part of the MS that’s what I was asking

stumbler
6 months ago

@linda1983 , cognition problems are one of the symptoms of MS :-

https://www.mstrust.org.uk/a-z/cognition-and-cognitive-symptoms

We can also suffer from sensory overload. If there is a lot of mental stimulation, e.g. sounds, lights, etc., your brain may have problems interpreting it all.

linda1983
6 months ago

Thank you stumbler I think I’m going to get a hold of my neurologist tomorrow because this is been going on way too long

wjgregg
6 months ago

Dear Linda,

I am really badly affected by loud noise. Just after my diagnosis, and release from hospital I was in a restaurant with my wife and daughter. On the next table was a crowd of youngish people with very loud, screeching voices. They were just enjoying themselves, but I was really affected by them, practically storming out of the restaurant. My wife and daughter (and I) didn’t understand at the time. It all became clear once I started learning more about MS. As stumbler says, sensory overload is the thing. You will find lots of new experiences following diagnosis, some good, many bad (and perhaps a little frightening, sometimes). With time, you will find an explanation often exists. A lot of time you will find that explanation on this forum. There is a lot of collective wisdom on here, and we all, I’m sure, want to help and support each other.

Just keep signing in, and talking to your new friends.

Good luck, and best wishes,

Jon

aabreu
6 months ago

I have cognition issues. It is really frustrating. Can’t remember nothing. My wife wife’s memory of events can no longer be disputed. My recollection of events is nonexistent. Comes in handy sometimes.

linda1983
6 months ago

Thank you John my problem is a lot with driving to like if somebody’s talking to me I’m trying to concentrate in on the roads I already ended up in the snowbank because of it don’t understand what’s going on in my head but I guess something for neurologist to find out the information is very good that you Guys gave me I could be driving and somebody start up a conversation with me and I’m already 20 minutes past where I was supposed to be like it’s just brain fog galore

buitenmus
6 months ago

Sounds familiar. Multitasking is more difficult, like cooking, my husband telling something and our daughter asking for attention is really too much. Or going to the supermarket is just too exhausting with all the colours, noises, people,…. strange, not?

novemberrain
6 months ago

I have a short fuse and shrill voices make me cover my ears. Looks pretty rude so I just have to move away. The crowds thing I’m not comfortable with either. It could be MS related but we are all humans, I’m sure there are many non MSers who have the same. Or maybe they’re The Undiagnosed?! Hope you feel better soon though x

vixen
6 months ago

Hello @linda1983, I so understand what you’re experiencing. I have a weird sort of social anxiety I’ve never had before, even if sat around a table with old friends. My home has become really important to me, like a refuge. To help with concentration and focus I play simple word games on a tablet every so often and this really helps me. Hope you’re feeling OK today….

novemberrain
6 months ago

@vixen @linda1983 if those are new symptoms and changes in the way you feel about the world around you I guess MS is more likely the culprit. I’ve always been that way so I just accept it as being me. Painfully shy as a kid…not so much now but I’m far better in a one to one situation.

peterfrancis
6 months ago

Everything you describe Linda is what I’m experiencing every day and experienced before diagnosis. It’s common in MS to feel confused, nervous, anxious, depressed and forgetful. Too many things going on all at once really winds me up and drives me mad, people talking loudly and talking over each other also makes my blood boil.

arbee
6 months ago

For me, anxiety is the biggest hindrance of my MS and causes me all sorts of issues, I can cope with most other symptoms but the anxiety has forced me to completely change my life.

I used to be a dj (technically still am but I very rarely play out anymore due to anxiety) and in my early 20’s I would travel up and down the country every weekend playing to hundreds, occasionally thousands of people without any problems.
Then in my late 20’s I found that I would be wretching all day leading up to a gig, sometimes I would be physically sick from it (I actually threw up on stage a few times) and I would sweat bucketloads, I can be shivering with cold yet have sweat literally streaming down my face if I’m anxious. It got worse as time went by, if I had a big gig on a Friday sometimes the wretching would start on a Wednesday and I didn’t know why, it was something I’d done for years, why am I suddenly crippled with anxiety when I play out?
The way around it appeared to be alcohol, as soon as I’d sank a few drinks (easier said than done when you’re already being sick like you’ve had a skinful) the anxiety would subside. Drinking brings it’s own problems though, we underestimate what a dangerous drug it is because it’s legal (in my experience it’s worse than most of the illegal ones), it got to the point where I was having to get drunk in every social situation so I was constantly either drunk or hungover for about 6 or 7 years!
Eventually, in my mid 30’s, I just couldn’t cope with it anymore and pretty much packed it all in, I stopped my club night that I had run for 15 years, cancelled my residencies and no longer take bookings, the only thing I do now is a festival I have worked with for 20 years and find it really hard to say no to, even though I know it’s going to be a week of constant anxiety leading up to it!
So when I got diagnosed in my late 30’s I felt a great deal of relief, it sounds strange but at least I now know why these things happen to me, just a shame there’s not much I can do about it. I have been trying CBD oil lately to help with the anxiety attacks and I think it does help, I generally just avoid all situations that will cause me anxiety these days anyway but on the occasions when it’s unavoidable, CBD does seem to help.

robl
6 months ago

Hi Linda,

Anxiety has formed a huge part of my recent relapse, travelling on buses and in cars was torturous. I had a few anxiety attacks at home also. I bought some lavender spray which helped and my MS nurse recommended an app called “CALM” Which teaches you breathing and meditation practices. Ive been using it for the last 3 days and its really helpng!
Anxiety has been the worst part this time and i hope you find something qhich helps!

potter
6 months ago

Sounds like everyone has this problem, I have found one thing that helps in noisy situations is ear plugs. I carry them with me now, when the crowd and noise gets to much for me I pop them in and they really help. I have small ears so I use ones that are for children swimming or playing in the water. Taking a break finding a quiet corner also helps. Potter

jayg
6 months ago

The sensation of slowed thoughts, memory hurdles, being overwhelmed and other cognitive challenges are quite common for PWMS. The cognitive disconnect can certainly vary in degree, but at least half of people with MS will experience some form of cognitive difficulties. Don’t lose any hope and instead check out two things: 1) “Facing the Cognitive Challenges of Multiple Sclerosis,” 2nd Edition and the MS Trust StayingSmart web site for simple tricks and tips to deal with it.
Cheers to you…

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.