Last reply 10 months ago
Expressing for baby

Hi all

I have just had a beautiful baby girl she will be 3 weeks on Wednesday can’t vibe how quick the time is going. I had a c section and she had a tounge tie early stages so my milk didn’t quite come through…I gave it a good go at getting it back and her on the boob but unfortunately my milk supply just ain’t enough for her! She now has formula and I express to give her atleast what I can from me. I am finding that now the expressing is quite exhausting and my body feels achey all over…I can deal with the tiredness as MS or no MS a new Mum is going to be tired but I am just wondering if the pressure of giving her the expressed is something I need to late myself off with if i feel
It’s effecting my MS? Had anyone had similar experiences …it’s a very hard thing as I feel I should be doing something but what use am I to her if I have a replase!

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the β€˜x’.

edmontonalberta
10 months ago

This is all I know about children…

Becoming a parent is like playing a video game where you’ve skipped the tutorial & you’re just running about with no idea how anything works.

Congratulations & enjoy… πŸ˜‰

sadiemay
10 months ago

That I can relate too hahaha xx

geordie57
10 months ago

Hi @safdiemay, congratulations firstly πŸ˜€.
I had two c sections now 4 and 7. I managed 5 months with my now 7 year old and hated every minute. She would no latch on and the most tie curling experience 😀. I beat myself up when I moved to formula but a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders! And the best thing I did. My now 4 year old.. I gave up after 3 days!
It’s not for everyone! I would enjoy your baby and stay healthy ! New babies are tough! Add ms to the equation is a huge struggle!! Personally, go formula, x

cammo
10 months ago

@sadiemay congrats, I am not really qualified to give advice as I am father not mother. All I can say is that don’t beat yourself up about moving to formula. If your baby got your initial colostrum that is fine.
My wife tortured herself as her breast milk dropped off (due to being pregnant with out daughter). Our son was only 4 months at the time and we didn’t work out that we were starving him until he was admitted to hospital with bronchitis.
We had to switch to formula as she wasn’t producing enough milk. She still kicks herself over it.
Anyway our boy is a big, fine, healthy boy on formula. He has exceeded all his milestones and is happy.
Nothing wrong with formula fed babies. Don’t sweat it.

spunky
10 months ago

@sadiemay
I had kids before MS diagnosis.
I tried 6 weeks with my son and didn’t bother trying with my daughter since I had such a hard time with my son and he was 2 and I had a newborn. I have 2 healthy kids. I felt guilty at the beginning but I was so much happier when I stopped. My son was very happy too since he wasn’t getting enough from me. Don’t beat yourself up. And remember the healthier and happier you are the more you’ll have to give to your child…even if it’s not your milk.

Stay healthy,
Spunky

sciencegeek
10 months ago

I’ve had 3 children with MS but pre-diagnosis (I knew, though, by the third…). It’s an exahusting job being a parent and there is no perfect, or even right, way to do it.

There is no right or wrong way to feed a baby, as long as you are feeding them! Don’t put yourself under pressure to do it “right” by expressing if it is adding to your exahustion. Keeping yourself well is far more important and it is the best thing that you can do for your baby and for yourself.

If you are enjoying expressing, then by all means keep going. If it feels like a chore, then it is time to give up. Well done for getting this far, but now let yourself enjoy formula feeding as the best option for you and your daughter.

And congratulations πŸ™‚

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.