Last reply 6 months ago
Exercising

Hi everyone hope you are all doing ok….a have a question for you all….Well I’ve had a really tough 6 months, diagnosed in September with RRMS…treated with lemtrada in November and am now recovering as well as coming to terms with everything…although I do PT pilates twice a week since January, that’s the only exercise I do and since my diagnosis I’ve barely walked anywhere much because I was in the middle of a relapse back in September and my balance seemed worse…so today I started the treadmill and was shocked to discover I could only walk 1/3 of a mile which took me a entire 10 minutes and I felt exhausted afterwards! I have never been that unfit…so my question is with RRMS can I still build on this and improve? And how do I go about building up? I really want to feel comfortable walking out and about. Thank you all x

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

vixen
6 months ago

Hi there @Joanne 46. My experience is: diagnosed out of the blue with RRMS a year ago after being ill and struggling for 4 months. Christmas 2016 I had no energy, wasn’t exercising and had put on weight. Through taking it slowly and not pushing myself, a year later I have built up to 2 x 18 minute walks a day and do 25 mins stretching exercises at home every evening. I am also managing to work full time although have adjusted my role. I lost all the weight through committing to a diet. I am happy with this level of exercise but I needed to take my considered time to get here. Hope that helps! X

stumbler
6 months ago

@joanne46 , little and often is the mantra to follow.

OK, a 1/3 of a mile in 10 minutes is a good starting point, but don’t let it over-tire you. You’ll soon build yourself up.

joanne46
6 months ago

Thank you @vixen and @stumbler I will just keep going and keep moving and not expect miracles overnight 😄

corinneunique
6 months ago

I am new too this as well Joanne, they just gave me the diagnosis a few weeks ago and it explains why i feel the way i do. I started doing the same do what you can but pace yourself. 🙂

joanne46
6 months ago

@corinneunique thank you…I think my problem has been doing nothing for the last 6 months or so…it has really set me back..but I’m back on it now 👍 keep your chin up x

corinneunique
6 months ago

same with me too. we can should set a weekly goal for ourselves. x

grandma
6 months ago

Dear Joanne 46, back on my favourite subject, swimming, best all round exercise even for fingers and toes! Doesn’t matter even if you can’t swim, just walking in the water or floating and kicking and splashing all help because of the resistance ce in the water, you can do a lot in the water that you can’t do on land if you have ms!😍

joanne46
6 months ago

@vixen
@stumbler
@grandma
@corrinneunique
Gorgeous sunny day today 🌼well did my walk nice and early and the timing is down by almost a minute this morning! 9mins 10secs so I suppose I’ve answered my own question 😄😄

mickm
6 months ago

Hi Usually I don’t like to give advice or chat on public forums so this is a first for me. I have secondary progresses MS, diagionsed in 2012. Some days by sundown my batteries wear out I’m in a wheel chair, I use wrist crutches during the day, walking unassisted is a thing of the past.
My only form of exercise is weight lifting or body weight exercises. When I say weight I mean heavy weight, something that will challenge you and get your heart pumping and blood flowing and lungs expanding. Believe me, with MS this can be done. If you need crutches or a walking aid to get around the gym don’t worry just do it.
Modern gyms today have machines so you can do full body workouts safely supported. I would not advise free standing squats or deadlifts if you have balance issues or core muscle weakness. However you can develop these muscles in other ways.
I would also suggest every couple of months changing your exercise routine and your repitition and sets range Eg heaver weights fewer reps then lighter weights more reps. But always challenge your self every workout. Train like a body builder. You don’t have to eat like one but be aware of your diet.
As for balance exercises or walking on a treadmill. Some days or weeks you think your progressing then in the blink of an eye MS will take it all away from you.
I hear people with MS saying they have no energy. I have lots of energy and feel great I just can’t run it off. So I hit the weights.
Expect to feel a bit MS’ey after your workout but don’t let this stop you going back because it does help.

joanne46
6 months ago

@mickm
Thank you…I have read so much how important exercise is for energy and I agree the two really do go hand in hand 😄 hopefully post lemtrada I will begin to start seeing some improvement in my stamina too. Good on you for your positive attitude 💪

mickm
6 months ago

Remember Lemtada is not a cure. What branch in the MS tree you are sitting on is where you stay post lemtrada. Lemtrada stops progression and levels you out. Hopefully you won’t go higher and become more unstable.
Lemtrada is the best thing I ever did. Apart from a few rough days immediately after and a few weeks thinking my MS was getting worse. I’m seeing benefits now.
Beware of people who say rest rest and more rest.
Don’t get caught on the merry go round of sleeping until your hungry and eating until your tired.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.