ghada 10/05/11
Last reply 7 years ago
Exercise type and relapses

Hi Guys,

Quick question about exercise as I’ve seen some posts about this?
Can peeps tell me what form of exercises you do and what you find really helps? I love squash but since my foot drop I find that when I get too hot (after 30 mins) my leg starts to drag again..anyone familiar with this? It’s like I start to gio back into the relapse. But once am cooled down it goes away and I go back for another 15 mins although I am shattered by the end!
Ghada xx

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

There are no categories assigned yet.

Gav
7 years ago

Increased body temperature can excabate previous symptoms and worsen current ones to the point where it may feel like a relapse. There is no evidence linking exercise and a causal link for relapses, exercise is in fact encouraged with MS. The old ‘use it or lose it’ phrase rings very true in this instance. Its all about adjusting to your new limitations and listening to your body. The only evidence for a link is firmly in the ‘anecdotal’ category and we all know how subjective such evidence can be.

Check the link for tips on keeping cool and other usedful information
http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fuseaction/show/pageid/807

Gav
7 years ago

Sorry if that came across a little ranty, I was in a slightly bad mood, recovery from my latest relapse not going as smoothly as I would like. In better news though, my one handed typing is coming on a treat =)

ghada
7 years ago

No at all Happycovv, thansk for the link, will look into it. I think i am trying to convince myself that i don’t need to give up on squash but it looks like i might need to 🙁 shame that…loved kicking my hubby’s ass! lol ..ok he let me most of the time!
Glad your recovering from your relapse even though its slow..fingers crossed it speeds up!

Iain
7 years ago

Hi ghada, i definitely subscribe to the use it or lose school of thinking. I find that whilst I can’t play the sports that require side to side motion and quick changes of direction as well as I used to, I can still have fun trying!

Also I decided like 3 odd years ago that I needed to do something to keep active so I tried running, have meet some really cool new people and this year I will be attempting to run a marathon! To be honest if it wasn’t for ms not in a million years would I have thought about doing a marathon or that I could do it! What I was trying to say is that maybe squash isn’t working for you right now, but badminton, tennis, ice hockey (you never know!?) may.

Plus if you do it secretly then ask your hubby for a game you will deinately have the upper end! 🙂

ghada
7 years ago

Thanks lain, i have decided to have a game this week end after many weeks off and see how it goes, if i find it’s too much i can start thinking about badmington although i just never liked it pre ms anyway lol beggars can’t be choosers i suppose!

daisy
7 years ago

Hi Ghada, just wanted to say that I totally understand how you feel, I used to go to martial arts class four times a week – haven’t been in 18 months and miss it like crazy. I have recently started some gentle exercise in the gym in the hope that I can get fit enough to go back to martial arts at some point. Really hope your game goes well this weekend D xx

ghada
7 years ago

Hi guys, just wanted to say, I went, I played!I conquered!!lol maybe not conquered but well enough at a slower pace at night as its cooler and lits of ice packs to cool me down. Am also starting royalties next wed whilst I think of joining the gym for weight trainingzzzzz Xx

ghada
7 years ago

Meant yogalites!

carolyn
7 years ago

When I was struggling with lack of balance and slow legs with calf muscle cramps, I tried getting on my bicycle. I found it really easy, no cramps at all.

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.