Last reply 4 months ago
Exercise, any tips?

Kinda proud of myself, managed a 5mile cycle ride apart from a little clonus at times and needing a pretty large rest afterwards, all in all not too bad. I’m determined to find something that I can still do, any tips guys?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

noelie
4 months ago

Good on you for wanting to move, it’s the way forward. Tips? it depends what you’re used to, and where you at, how affected is your CNS?

renegade
4 months ago

Thnx @noelie. Done very little, recent disability physio visit has increased the urgency for me a little (SPMS) Upper body is largely unaffected, legs pretty poor and weakening . I can walk short distances, I may not be able to to get them to do what I want but am mindful that not exercising them is not too clever methinks

noelie
4 months ago

I totally agree with you, i’m in the “use it or lose it” camp. From what you say, I think you need specific exercises for MS, daily self-massaging, stretching and gentle strengthening. Doing “regular” exercises will only make you compensate and reinforce bad patterns. I would suggest you look into the MS Gym. If finances are not an issue, I would jump straight in the paid membership ($1 a day), otherwise you can check the free Facebook group (closed group called The MS Gym). Trevor (the coach) has an amazing knowledge of the human body / brain connection and our condition, he posts videos for specific issues (foot drop, knee kissing, knee hyperextension, weak hip flexor, balance issues, arm, etc) whatever is your issue, there will be some exercises for it. I’ve been doing it for maybe 5 months, best thing i’ve done for myself, it has been life changing. I really hope it helps you too. Look after yourself.

stumbler
4 months ago

@renegade , the best tip I can offer is to practice moderation.

This is a marathon, not a sprint!

But well done for getting out there and doing it. 😉

grandma
4 months ago

Standard answer, swimming, an hour in the pool in the equivalent of 1/2 marathon. Doesn’t matted if you can’t swim, just walking or floating in the water will do. Flex fingers and toes if you can’t actually swim, all the weight is taken by the water, I can do loads of things in. the water that I can’t do on land!😍

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.