4 years ago
Ever feel like a leper when have to take time off work?

I could scream. This condition is so incredibly frustrating. Boss doesn’t seem too impressed that I’ve been signed off work due to ON. Like I want to be signed off?! Urgh. 🙁

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

@angeshiftms , perhaps you can try and educate your boss a bit.
This publication may open his eyes :-
http://mstrust.org.uk/shop/product.jsp?prodid=84

Yes absolutely. Even where I work (public sector, informed OH dept etc), managers with their own targets and objectives don’t seem to understand a number of conditions. MS-relatd stigma in the workplace is similar to a lot of other unseen conditions (eg. mental health) and the best cure is, as Stumbler says, education.

Approaching your boss/line manager also comes with its own problems: Will you be overlooked for certain types of work due to your condition? Will you be seen as a ‘trouble-maker’ for talking about the subject? I understand these thoughts, but I have found that the best way to approach it is to see yourself and your own health as the most important thing, so don’t be too worried about making someone else’s job a little more complicated because of it; you have to try to make your work life fit aroud your condition, not the other way around. Managers need to be able to deal with all the individual issues of the people that they manage; this is their job and if they are making you feel bad because of an illness you have, they are not doing it properly.

Thanks Stumbler. My boss’s boss seems to be very empathetic, with some understanding of MS. But my immediate boss seems a bit less clued up, and more concerned with work than me… Hey ho. At least I have my lovely fiance, friends, family, and you lovely shift.ms’ ers to keep me chipper.

Very sound advice @ComMS!

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.