Last reply 5 months ago
ESA

Hi all

I have just recently become unemployed as I had to quit as my MS fatigue and brain fog was getting too much for full time work and I was getting extremely weak after a couple of hours . I am applying for part time jobs and I’m a little nervous as I’ve never not had a job but it was getting too much for my health.
I’ve been looking up and I receive PIP but can I also apply for ESA?

Thanks

Suzie xx

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

suzie10
5 months ago

@holly1234 hi lovely, you said you knew a lot about this stuff. Can you help me please? Xx

stumbler
5 months ago

@suzie10 , I can’t see why you can’t put forward a claim for ESA. You may need your GP to sign you off?

I’d pop in and see your local Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB), as there may be other benefits that you may be entitled to.

peterfrancis
5 months ago

I got PIP and ESA, at least I believe it’s ESA.

After my PIP Assessment was done and dusted I received a letter from DWP telling me that I would get X amount a month and would not need to be placed into an activity group or look for employment etc.

Then the PIP decision came a week or so later.

If you’re in any doubt about what you are entitled to, then definitely check with the CAB.

grandma
5 months ago

I’m on both, have been on ESA ( or it’s equivalent) for 25 years and what is now PIP ( was D lA) had all the D l A taken away, appealed straight away, got the basics back, lost my mobility car ( after 20 years) have to go to tribunal to get it back so am stuck in for the summer oh
Lyell who said life was fair! You should have no problem getting PIP (which is not counted as income) and ESA.If you cant find work they shouldn’t chase you if you are in the support group. Good luck😍

suzie10
5 months ago

Thanks everyone. So I should call up and ask for the forms for ESA support group? Does it go against your partners incone etc?
Xx

grandma
5 months ago

Your partners income tax doesnt come into it, you are assessed on your contributions ( for ESA) PIP is not income related in any way, with ESA there are two types, one based on insurance contributions, and if you have no partner or other income, you should get income based ESA which is about £20 a week more.😍

suzie10
5 months ago

So called up today and the pack is getting sent out. They asked what my partner did and if he worked full time? Is that normal? So I’ve to get a note from my doctor and send them that and I think it’s only the lower one I qualify for? Xx

stumbler
5 months ago

@suzie10 , do get some third party advice when completing the ESA forms, e.g. the Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB). It is difficult for you to remain objective about your situation.

CAB will also be able to explain your potential awards………..

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.